Stoma-Accessed Colonoscopy Experiences and Tips

Replies
Views
ono1
Jun 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Does anyone have information related to a colonoscopy using stoma access?  How difficult was the visualization? I have a parastomal hernia. Does this complicate the procedure? Obviously, too, I am apprehensive about the bowel prep prior to the procedure.  I have found a reference to irrigation sleeves and believe that should help with the output, but am concerned with how long after the prep solution is ingested it takes to appear through the stoma and how long until the output stops. Since I am severely hampered with a back injury, I would like some suggestions for the most comfortable way to position myself for the prep process. Thanks for your responses.

Past Member
Jun 13, 2018 3:41 pm

No pain no big deal.jut the needels for iv .its easier and quick in minutes your redy to go and good take it easy the worst is over its all down hill now have a good day jerz 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

JohnNJ
Jun 14, 2018 12:24 am

I have an ileostomy and had a few scopes done. 1st u dont need to be knocked out, for my 1st scope i asked not to be put under. Other scopes they also went down my thoart so they knocked me out. Since i have an ileostomy i never had to do any prep, just stop eating midnight before.

Newbie Dana
Jun 18, 2018 7:44 pm

If you have a colostomy instead of an ileostomy, you will have to prep the day before, just like having a regular (pre-stoma) colonoscopy. If you use re-sealable pouches, you will need to drain your pouch several times during the day you are taking the prep - it will empty EVERYTHING out. If you use disposable pouches, try to get one or two of the drainable ones for the prep day, or you will be going through way too many during the prep day! I happened to still have some samples from when I first got my ostomy and was trying things out. It made things SO much easier!

Remember to take a new wafer and pouch for the doctor to put back on after your scope, because they will take off the old one for the scope.