Alternatives to Thicken Stools for Permanent Ostomy Patients

Replies
Views
ronjeff
Jul 27, 2018 11:54 am

i have ostomy that’s permanent.  Aside from foods, what will thicken stools?  I take lomotil and occasional pepto.  Take Imodium when I’m out most times. I don’t want tincture of opium if I can avoid it.  I need opinions and experiences.

also what side effects would tincture of opium give?

Little Red
Jul 27, 2018 9:25 pm
Hi, I am new to this forum but maybe I can help, why do you want to thicken your stool ?. My ET nurse told me that the stool should be the consistency of pudding, or it could cause leaking around your pouch if it does not fall to the bottom of your pouch, but you also don,t want it to be to thin. Mine was thicker and It kept leaking, now she had me take a stool softner ( bought at WallMart for $4.00. Hope this helps. and if to thin maybe someone else can comment.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Xerxes
Jul 28, 2018 2:14 am

I know what you mean. When the fecal discharge is too watery it leads to problems mainly the increased possibility of leakage. Over the years (almost 40) I have always found that I can thicken my fecal discharge by eating complex carbohydrates, specifically, macaroni with the sauce (gravy). This has always worked for me, almost a miracle cure so to speak. Lomotil and imodium are ok for slowing down gut motility, but have little effect on the consitency of the discharge.

X_

MagicFlute14
Aug 07, 2018 6:32 am

Hello! I’m relatively new to my colostomy, but i noticed if i eat a lot of dairy, (milk with cereal, cheese with bread), the discharge is rather hard. Only once i had some leakage with more hard stool, but in general i don’t have any leakages.  I think I’ve been lucky to find finally a wafer that fits perfectly and is very comfortable.  Only once i had a leakage but I believe it was due to diarrhea.