Safe Exercise Tips for Post-Ostomy Surgery Recovery

Replies
Views
pgtwilliams
Jul 27, 2018 8:07 pm

On Feb 3 this year (my 42nd wedding anniversary no less) I had emergency surgery due to ruptured diverticula caused by abdominal scar tiss may decades ago from ectopic pregnancy. To allow for full recovery, they completed a colonostomy.  After 4 months (in May) my colon was reconnected to my recutum.  To heal from this procedure it was necessary to make the colonostomy and ileostomy.  They used the same stoma so my small intestines are pulled to the left side (and this feels strange and uncomfortable at times).  I am an active 50+ and would like to be as proactive as I can.  Is there any safe exercises anyone can share who has gone through something similar?

iMacG5
Sep 02, 2018 7:41 pm

Hi Pgtwilliams. I'm thinking the exercises you're alluding to are for core strengthening. I'm a 77+ year old guy with a colostomy, so my stuff is different from yours. I have the same concerns about core strength but want to avoid a hernia. I walk a couple of miles almost every day and do deep breathing and stretching exercises when I remember. Beyond that, I don't avoid lifting stuff like cases of water, watermelons, huge grocery bags, and the like, but I'm careful to use my legs rather than my back and gut muscles.

Hope you get more input.

Respectfully,

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.