Can Stoma Placement Vary Across the Belly Area?

Replies
Views
Gemd
Sep 20, 2018 11:54 pm

So every body is different and i trust my doctor's put my ileostomy stoma in the right spot for me. But most people seem to have it below or level to their navel. Mine is higher up. Can a stoma kinda be placed anywhere in the belly area?

Raine061
Sep 21, 2018 12:33 am

I'm no expert, but I think it has to do in part what and how much bowel is removed.   Also, when the stoma nurse marked me prior to surgery for placement she considered any folds or wrinkles.  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Gemd
Sep 21, 2018 12:42 am

I had the whole colon and rectum removed. Also for as petite, thin, and young I am, I was full of belly rolls and wrinkles

Axis308
Sep 21, 2018 5:23 pm

I was told when I had my ileostomy that a a lot of it has to do with how easy it is to see and also, as Raine stated, it has to do with folds and wrinkles.