Struggling with Pancaking: Seeking Healthy Tips

Replies
Views
MrD
Oct 27, 2018 9:32 pm

Ok I am new to this I seem to be having trouble with pancaking I’ve tried oiling inside bag, little sticker on filter, am eating licorice to soften stool.

Trying to increase fibre also.

any healthy tips please

Past Member
Oct 28, 2018 9:26 am

Are the stickers on the filter working for you?  They never worked all that well for me.  Air kept leaking out.  I  found pouches without filters worked better for me.  You might try those.

If you can, you might try irrigation as well.  It takes care of the problem for good. Just a throught.

Good luck to you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Pirrip
Oct 28, 2018 10:28 am

Drink more water, juice, coffee, beer, tea, etc. - 5-6 pints per day!

Past Member
Oct 28, 2018 11:11 pm

I have the same issues with pancaking. Stool builds up to the point of pushing the whole appliance off my skin. After 3 years of trying every suggestion I've heard, to no avail, I have finally come up with a method that works for me. It might sound a little gross, but then, would there be a solution that didn't? I use a stick (as opposed to click) 2 piece appliance. When I feel the pressure of stool buildup in my pouch, I open the pouch at the top, and clean out the stool there, using toilet paper. In order to for this to work well, my stool has to be fairly solid. I have difficulty achieving that if I eat fruit or vegetables regularly (which I like to do), so I have experimented with Immodium (with the blessing of my surgeon). I find that 1 or 2 of the Immodium every day generally produces a firm stool. I have a minor problem with Immodium - it makes me drowsy. So, I take it at bedtime every day. If I find that I need extra Immodium during the day, I try to limit it to 1 so I'm not too drowsy. I find this system works well for me, and as I said, I have tried everything else. If you try this, be careful not to touch the sticky part of your flange with the toilet paper, as it will stick to the flange and then that part won't stick to your pouch. Your flange should continue to stick to your pouch for several days even if you open it several times a day. Maybe this would work well with a click 2 piece system, but I haven't tried it. By the way, I also find that eating foods with non-soluble fibre (oatmeal, bananas, mango etc) help to keep stool firm. Hope this is helpful. If you find another solution that works for you, please let me know.

madelynn.f.may
Oct 31, 2018 9:07 pm

I have a very tiny stoma and irrigation isn't an option for me, I need to take laxatives so that my stool has a thinner consistency. 

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play