Post-Colon Removal: Experiencing Hypoglycemia Symptoms?

Replies
Views
Gemd
Dec 05, 2018 9:20 pm

Ever since I got rid of my colon, I seem to get hypoglycemia or...? I get full easy but also super starved easily and my stomach will cramp, I feel nauseous and lightheaded and spaced out. I had hypoglycemia when pregnant and it seems similar but...stronger. it's not diabetes. Anyone else have this?

Bill
Dec 11, 2018 7:08 pm

Hello Gemd. Thank you so much for posting about hypoclycemia. I had heard the word before but never really taken much more notice of it. However, having now looked it up, and found that the symptoms are very similar to other conditions I begin to wonder if I had perhaps misdiagnosed myself on occasions. It is little wonder that people with diabetes are made aware of this condition as they at least get regular blood checks, so would know whether  it's hyper or hypo.  For those of us who (like me) had never really known what it is, I'll copy you in below:

Hypoglycemia occurs when the level of glucose present in the blood falls below a set point:

Below 4 mmol/L (72mg/dL) (whatever that means!)
Being aware of the early signs of hypoglycemia will allow you to treat your low blood glucose levels quickly - in order to bring them back into the normal range.

It is also recommended to make close friends and family aware of the signs of hypoglycemia in case you fail to recognise the symptoms.

What are the symptoms of hypoglycemia?
The main symptoms associated with hypoglycemia are:

Sweating
Fatigue
Feeling dizzy

Symptoms of hypoglycemia can also include:

Being pale
Feeling weak
Feeling hungry
A higher heart rate than usual
Blurred vision
Confusion
Convulsions
Loss of consciousness
And in extreme cases, coma

In my case I can list several occasional symptoms which could fall into this diagnosis : Sweating, Fatigue,Feeling dizzy, feeling weak & blurred vision. 

I also see that delayed meals are one of the precipitating factors. This sounds like me as well.

In a recent post I was saying how I had taken a sports nutrition drink, which seemed to alleviate these symptoms, making me thing that maybe there was an electrolyte imbalance (perhaps due to irrigation?). However, in the light of your post I may have to rethink this and the next time these symptoms occur, I might even go and get it checked out. Although last time I went to my doctor about these symptoms, he did not seem that interested, so I did my usual thing and experimented for myself. 

Thanks again for raising our awareness.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mrs.A
Dec 16, 2018 12:53 am

I too appreciate you  both for raising our awareness.