Gas Bubbles and Gurgling Sounds Around Stoma - Normal?

Replies
Views
JOSHWILRYAN
Aug 12, 2024 9:38 pm

Is it normal to have feelings of large gas bubbles and sounds of gurgling going from one side of your abdomen to the other around your stoma? I've had my ileostomy for 3 years, and this started about 2 months ago.

Beth22
Aug 12, 2024 11:39 pm

Hey there, mine does it all the time, but mine always has... And I have gas that will sit right under my stoma, and I can hear and feel it bubbling there.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Axl
Aug 13, 2024 2:44 am

Sometimes, but not often.

Bill
Aug 13, 2024 6:57 am

Hello Joshwilryan.
Thank you for you question which hasn't arisen for some time.

The answer is possibly in the form of another question: "What is 'normal?"
I have this sensation every now and then, but because I also had it prior to my stoma, I haven't really thought about it much.
While the gas is moving, it seems to me to be a 'good' thing. It is when it gets blocked that I begin to have pain and start worrying.
It's always a psychological relief when I fart and let (at least some of) it out. Interestingly, recently the gas output has been 'bubbling' out in much the same way as it was 'bubbling' around inside.
Maybe I could write a rhyme on this subject - Watch this space for what could be described as a  'verbal fart'.
Best wishes

Bill

EDIT - PS: I will endeavour to post the rhyme on here tomorrow

Morning glory
Aug 13, 2024 1:57 pm

Hi, have you been eating anything new? I have this happen quite often. Try some Gas-X. It breaks up the bubbles pretty well.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
JOSHWILRYAN
Aug 13, 2024 2:19 pm
Reply to Morning glory

Wasn't sure if Gas-X was okay to take. Thanks for your advice.

infinitycastle52777
Aug 13, 2024 5:05 pm

I get gas and noises in my stomach all the time. I think it is just digestion. It can also happen when you are hungry. Having an empty stomach can cause gas. I get gas bubbles coming out of my stoma as well as farts. LOL, but sometimes it makes a gurgling sound. I just think of it as a normal thing.

Mysterious Mose
Aug 13, 2024 5:35 pm

I have the same response as Axl. Sometimes, but not often. It has been the last two days though. Seems like Yellowstone has made its way into my belly. Noisy bugger, it's been. :-)

Daniel

gentlejohn
Aug 13, 2024 6:51 pm

GI gas is from air that you swallow or food that you eat. Milk products are famous for producing gas, as are certain vegetables.

This is what the Mayo Clinic says: https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/intestinal-gas/basics/causes/sym-20050922

TerryLT
Aug 13, 2024 8:04 pm

Totally normal for me, but then I regularly eat lots of gas-causing foods. On the subject of GasX, it's my understanding that this product was meant to work on the colon, so someone like you (and me) won't benefit from it. I've tried it and it does nothing for me to ease the gas.

Terry

Mysterious Mose
Aug 13, 2024 9:33 pm
Reply to TerryLT

Same, same when it comes to Gas-X. It does nothing for me. The same goes for using Imodium and its clones instead of the much cheaper loperamide. The added anti-gas part is pretty much useless to me.

Daniel.

Beth22
Aug 14, 2024 12:42 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Mouse,

Gas doesn't work for me either; it never did, even when I had my large intestine. I actually had the opposite effect; it made my gas way worse.

Gemini16
Aug 19, 2024 2:59 am

I have to chime in... You know your normal. Don't let anyone or anything make you doubt the situations you're feeling and dealing with. If it wasn't normal a year ago, and you notice changes in motility/output, something isn't right.