Thriving with Ostomies - My Journey to Pole Fitness

Replies
Views
Miss fudgeakins
Jul 18, 2024 4:44 pm

So I have double ostomies. I wanted to say, don't be afraid to live your life. I've had 33 operations, 4 majors, and have tons of issues, but I wanted to start living again. So, 12 weeks ago, I started pole fitness and I absolutely love it. I had no strength at all, but slowly I'm building it up. I also have no background in dance or gymnastics. We're constantly told not to do stuff in case you get a hernia, etc., but I had a hernia because I wasn't using my core. I have a urostomy and an ileostomy and I've never felt better. So, don't be afraid to take a risk. Don't allow fear to stop you. You can be anything you want to be. I've not told family or friends, as family are just judgmental. I was fed up with being treated like I was going to break, like I was good for nothing, but things are changing. I'm getting me back, and pole has given me hope and dreams.

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Jayne
Jul 18, 2024 4:59 pm

PMA

Positive mental attitude... the most valuable adoption under the sun

Good on You

This will be an 'eye opener' for some... and cause many a smile and good feeling for many of us

In your quieter moments... you are not alone!

Best Wishes

~ ~ ~ Jayne ~ ~ ~

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mysterious Mose
Jul 18, 2024 5:15 pm

Thank you for such an uplifting post! It makes me a little jealous, but I also know I could never have done that at half your age, much less at my current age, which is twice yours. :-)

I have so much admiration for all of you folks who have gone through so much at such a young age and have kept a can-do attitude. That goes for my fellow old-timers here and elsewhere who fall into that category. It's always edifying to see how people can live their lives regardless of adversity.

Daniel

AlexT
Jul 18, 2024 6:05 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

We really don't need to see you in tights and on a pole. 😁

AlexT
Jul 18, 2024 6:06 pm

Good for you, life is too short not to live it the best way you can. 👍

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
givvmistamps
Jul 18, 2024 6:44 pm

You're incredibly brave, and I love that you're doing what you want without letting your ostomies stop you.

Ben38
Jul 18, 2024 6:47 pm

Well done, pleased you found the confidence to get back out there and live life.

Really sorry to hear you were given such bad advice from doctors and nurses about hernias. They should have known much better; we have more chance of getting a hernia from just one cough or sneeze than from lifting anything heavy.

Morning glory
Jul 18, 2024 7:03 pm

So inspiring to see you living your life and gaining confidence while doing so.

Justbreathe
Jul 18, 2024 7:32 pm

Not one but TWO ostomies - 🏅 Amazing... you are totally amazing! Such a positive and eye-opening post for someone who has taken life's blows and continues to move forward👏👏👏. Thanks for sharing - I will definitely think of you when I am feeling sorry for myself. 🫶🏼 jb

Mysterious Mose
Jul 18, 2024 10:21 pm
Reply to AlexT

Neither do I. It would scare the bejeezus out of me!

🇦🇺 Jo
Jul 19, 2024 2:37 am

You look absolutely fabulous, and your core strength is going to be out of this world. Love this post, well done! 🤸 👏✨💫⭐️💃🏻

warrior
Jul 19, 2024 1:41 pm
Reply to AlexT

I'd pay good money to see either of you (Daniel and Alex) in spandex or tights working a pole as this young lady does.

Polaroids anyone? 😲

Mysterious Mose
Jul 19, 2024 3:24 pm
Reply to warrior

I already posted a similar photo of myself. Pay attention, warrior! 😎🤣

Login to see image

warrior
Jul 19, 2024 4:04 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

But...but...there's no pole, man! Anyone can run. Hee hee... 😆

Justbreathe
Jul 19, 2024 4:33 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

AI is amazing….

bowsprit
Jul 19, 2024 4:46 pm

Excellent advice, especially for those of us who are under a cloud sometimes. All the best wishes.

Justbreathe
Jul 19, 2024 4:58 pm
Reply to AlexT

Mose - Alex... Maybe not Alex, quite sure such a pic would be a great chuckle and good fodder for "a pic is worth a thousand words." - jb

AlexT
Jul 19, 2024 5:03 pm
Reply to warrior

How much? 🤔

TerryLT
Jul 19, 2024 7:40 pm

You are a true inspiration to us all! You really are quite remarkable.

Terry

Broyce
Jul 20, 2024 3:57 pm

You go, girl! You do not look offensive to me in any way, shape, or form.

After my colostomy 2 1/2 years ago, it took six months to start back with my performing tap group and several months after that to be able to perform. I thank God I was able to perform again because it is such a joy to put smiles on elderly people who so appreciate the group coming to entertain them. I will be 81 in September and hope to keep performing for as long as the Lord gives me the strength.

AlexT
Jul 20, 2024 4:26 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Login to see image

Mose on a pole has a catchy ring to it. 😁 Once you post a pic, Mose, it's always out there no matter how long ago it was. 😂

AlexT
Jul 20, 2024 4:27 pm
Reply to warrior

Login to see image

Mysterious Mose
Jul 20, 2024 5:26 pm
Reply to AlexT

🤣🧑‍🦽

Redondo
Jul 20, 2024 5:35 pm

Good for you. I am sure you would be an inspiration to everyone around you. I had my ileostomy almost 50 years ago and I was never told I had to be careful exercising or lifting, so I never gave it a second thought and it never bothered me. However, I have never done anything as extensive as what you are doing. You go, girl!

Justbreathe
Jul 20, 2024 5:39 pm

Miss fudgeakins… Not only have you captured our hearts, you've provided some measure of comic relief for those of us who need it, as well as support on this ostomy journey of ours. Forgive the jokesters (me included). Doses of humor/laughter, which we continually seek as some are of the belief that a bit of laughter is what we need rather than meds… do not think me unkind - I truly, truly admire and envy your attitude and your post sharing determination to continue to enjoy what you love… stay strong… jb

Mysterious Mose
Jul 20, 2024 6:25 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

jb and Miss fudgeakins, I couldn't agree more!

TerryLT
Jul 20, 2024 8:47 pm
Reply to AlexT

Who knew Dave Grohl was into pole dancing!

Nellienad
Jul 20, 2024 9:01 pm

So beautiful - you are a Rock Star ✨🙏❤️. A gentle reminder that a stoma or stomas = moving forward with no barriers in this life as we are reborn to live through this surgery and embrace life and have 🤩. So proud of you. Such a positive experience to share. Thank you for sharing.

lauramachado82
Jul 21, 2024 5:53 am

Amazing story! I love your spirit!

MagicFlute14
Jul 21, 2024 8:52 am

Amazing! Good for you! Keep up doing what makes you happy. It's your life, you're in charge! Congratulations!