Oily Film on Stoma with Two-Piece System: Experiences?

Replies
Views
jalrein
Oct 19, 2022 9:29 pm

The past few days I've taken off my bag (I have a two-piece system) and cleaned my stoma between appliance changes. My stoma has an oily type of film over it. Have other people encountered this? I've taken the bag off on occasion to clean my stoma with special wipes I have, and that's what I've come across. My output is the same as it has been the past two years; I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them (which I'm sure it has).

xnine
Oct 19, 2022 10:24 pm

I am not sure what you are saying. Do you clean the stoma and replace your bag, or is it when you replace your bag? The stoma does generate some mucus around it, which can look like an oily coating. I would say this is normal. But is this the first time that you noticed? If there is no blood or pain, again I would say this is normal. Some will produce more or less, but it is there.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

sassygrl3000
Oct 20, 2022 2:52 am

I think it can have something to do with your diet, possibly. Just as an example, I get an oily film around my skin if I eat something with shortening or grease. It is pretty hard for me to clean and I have to actually use alcohol after cleaning the area with soap and water. Just wanted to chime in with my experience.

jalrein
Oct 20, 2022 4:44 am
Reply to xnine

Hey X. I change my 2-piece every 3-4 days. However, occasionally I take off my bag to clean my stoma and around it while I just have the wafer on. No blood or pain for me, but I do have what you said is normal mucus. That's exactly what it's like. It looks like an oil film too. Thank you for responding.

jalrein
Oct 20, 2022 4:45 am
Reply to sassygrl3000

Thanks, Sassy. I'm going to follow my diet more closely to see if that's what caused the mucus/oily film.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play