Shy Stoma

Replies
Views
TerryLT
Sep 23, 2023 8:05 pm
Reply to marshallkerry189

I had two for a while myself. I got my colostomy first, stoma on the left side, then when it didn't work well, I got my ileostomy on the right side, so only getting a bit of mucus out of the colostomy stoma. About six months or so later, I had the colostomy stoma removed along with my colon. Will you be getting rid of one?

Terry

Redondo
Sep 23, 2023 10:39 pm

Hi Terry

I have had ileostomy for almost 50 years. They removed the total large colon and rectum plus appendix at the time due to Crohn's. I never had a colostomy. Good that they removed the colostomy stoma. Hope you are feeling better now.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Winnie The Pooh
Sep 27, 2023 10:45 am

Mine settled down after a year or so to where I regularly change it at night, just before bed. I like to be able to lie any way I want without feeling a bumpy bag. It usually produces little or nothing overnight which suits me fine. After I get up, have breakfast, and start moving around, it starts to produce. The only time I deviate from the night-time routine is if something catastrophic happens, or say if I'm going out with friends and don't want to tote inflated Winnie along with me. Not that my bump ever really goes away, alas.

AllieKIM
Oct 16, 2023 9:58 pm

My ostomy can go for hours without output. But it's because I eat the Metamucil wafers with my meals so I can leave the house without having to find a bathroom. However, when it's ready to come out, it's thick and comes out fast! I think having a shy stoma would be a good thing so you can go out and about!

AllieKIM
Oct 16, 2023 10:02 pm

I wish I had a light output and could go days without changing my bag and wafer. I have to change it every 48 hours or less because of my high output. Has anybody noticed that sweets cause a high and fast output? I have to be so careful.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Justbreathe
Oct 17, 2023 3:08 pm
Reply to AllieKIM

Wow - this was an eyebrow lifter... I have not noticed (but will now monitor) output as it relates to sugar. Actually, it makes sense - when I was a young mom, a doctor once told me to give my child some sugar for constipation - there you have it!

Kayceem
Nov 02, 2023 4:41 am
Reply to gentlejohn

Lucky you 🙂. My ileostomy is a busy little thing. I've had to learn when is the best time to change my system. Sometimes I literally pray for it to be quiet, lol. I'm new to this thing, so I'm learning as I go.

I've had leakage a few times while in rehab and a very active ostomy that, at one time, took 4 hours (about 8:30 PM to 12:30 AM) before it quieted down for me to change the system. I was so tired and frustrated. As I stated, I'm now getting the hang of it and I'm thankful. I'm two months and three weeks post-op, so I have a lot to learn 😁

Beachboy
Nov 02, 2023 10:12 pm

Hey Winnie the Pooh,

Thought of a funny name from your post when you said "tote inflated Winnie along."

WinnieBagGo...

Redondo
Nov 03, 2023 4:30 pm

I only have one for an ileostomy.

Redondo
Nov 03, 2023 4:32 pm
Reply to infinitycastle52777

I change first thing in the morning before I have any coffee or breakfast. I have coffee and breakfast after I change, but it takes a while to start working. Quite the opposite at dinner though. Once I have dinner, get up, and clean off the plates, it's full and I have to empty it immediately.

Redondo
Nov 03, 2023 4:43 pm
Reply to AllieKIM

I use an older style pouch which is made of thick vinyl. I can go without changing it for 6-7 days. I have tried many styles of pouches that are too flimsy and get dirty on the outside too fast, and I would also have to change them more frequently. My pouch is made by Marlen and the ID is MDW-210. However, there are other pieces that have to be used, which are a mounting ring and an O-ring, in order to use the pouch. It's complicated but well worth the extra effort.

Mysterious Mose
Nov 03, 2023 4:56 pm
Reply to Redondo

I do the same. The hardest part for a food addict such as myself is to refrain from snacking the night before a change. In the morning, I get everything ready and cut the barrier to fit my stoma. I then remove the appliance, clean up the hanging, clingy stuff, and then hop in the shower and clean around the stoma, as well as the rest of me. Then I dry everything, slap on the barrier, attach the pouch, wash my hands, take the used stuff out to the trash can, and then have breakfast. After washing my hands again. :-)

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention putting on clothing before taking the detritus out. I am not one to worry about what the neighbors think, but a naked trip to the trash can may be a bit much for some of them. :-))

Daniel

Past Member
Nov 05, 2023 3:05 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Shitstorm is my favorite. It fits the situation perfectly.