Thriving with Ostomies - My Journey to Pole Fitness

Replies
Views
Abdulqadir
Jul 21, 2024 8:58 am

I wish I had some of your self-confidence. It took you a very short time to deal normally with your new health situation; you inspire a lot of ostomates. Keep fighting...

rlevineia
Jul 21, 2024 1:29 pm

Like Mose said: Nice to be a strong youngin again. I have a prolapsed ileostomy from improper handling post-op. Obviously, you were doing the pole thing before your illness. Not for the majority of us. At 75 and 5 months in a nursing home, this would be very bad for me. I now go to a special therapist that works with abdominal issues. We work on core strengthening very slowly, but safely. Prolapses are serious and cannot be fixed properly, per my surgeon.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Hope Filled
Jul 21, 2024 1:47 pm

Congrats! How old are you?

Grambo
Jul 21, 2024 5:45 pm

Good for you! Impressive!

Isla is my sunshine
Jul 21, 2024 5:55 pm

Dear Miss Fudgeakins, this is the first time I have posted but decided to give it a stab.

I had stage 3 esophageal cancer four years ago and after chemo, radiation, and surgery, am hopeful for more years with family and friends. After that major surgery, I had twelve more major operations, one on my stomach, one to remove my colon, and the others due to herniations of my small bowel. I have had my ileostomy since September 2023. It is now controlling my life as I have constant diarrhea and am taking two medications around the clock to try and control it so I can have a life outside of the bathroom. I even have to set my alarm four times at night to empty.

Does anyone else have this problem? Oh, and I do drink at least two liters of rehydration fluids a day and eat a restrictive diet.

Please tell me I am not alone!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
charlie
Jul 21, 2024 6:35 pm

I too used to do pole fitness before moving; now it's not offered close to home where I now reside. The best part of this class was when I really could not do a certain routine/move, the instructor found an alternative that was just as effective for the specific muscle group being worked on. Your story is so uplifting, thank you for sharing.

almelia
Jul 21, 2024 8:44 pm

I've always wished this was an option for me - a friend and I once wondered if we should try starting a wheelchair pole group... plenty of arm strength but otherwise a bit limited, we reckoned! I know my family wouldn't be surprised if I did!

Keep looking after yourself and doing what makes you happy and fit ✨️

Mira25
Jul 21, 2024 10:07 pm

Amazing!

You're quite right. Don't let anyone or anything stop you.

Miss fudgeakins
Jul 22, 2024 1:07 pm

Thank you to you all, I feel quite blessed 🙌 to have you all supporting me, thank you.

Miss fudgeakins
Jul 22, 2024 1:08 pm
Reply to givvmistamps

Thank you xx

Miss fudgeakins
Jul 22, 2024 1:08 pm
Reply to Jayne

Thank you Jayne xx

Miss fudgeakins
Jul 22, 2024 1:09 pm
Reply to AlexT

Lol, unfortunately, if I wore tights, I'd slip straight back down 🤣🤣

Miss fudgeakins
Jul 22, 2024 1:11 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Aww hun, you're allowed to feel sorry for yourself. It's not easy being an ostomy warrior, but know you're not alone. Thank you for your kind words 💖

Miss fudgeakins
Jul 22, 2024 1:13 pm
Reply to 🇦🇺 Jo

Thank you, it's hard, I won't lie, but slowly my strength is building. If I can help just one person to believe in themselves, bags and all, I'm happy.

Miss fudgeakins
Jul 22, 2024 1:16 pm
Reply to rlevineia

Hi, no, I have never done pole or any kind of fitness at all, but with pole, you build yourself up. It doesn't matter if you're small, cuddly, etc. My chap's mom, who's 70, does it with me.

Miss fudgeakins
Jul 22, 2024 4:54 pm
Reply to Hope Filled

Hi, I'm 41 xx

tomlang2434
Jul 23, 2024 7:43 pm
Reply to Jayne

Wow, how inspiring.

Jayne
Jul 26, 2024 2:39 pm
Reply to Miss fudgeakins

Miss Fudgeakins

It's a pleasure to see such positivity on this site - no one should focus on what holds them back, except for learning to make the moves that lead them forward.

Thumbs up

And lots more PMA and your life will continue to evolve

Good luck

xx

Jayne

jcd3101
Jul 29, 2024 1:19 am

Very inspirational! Thanks for sharing. Jack D.