Has Anyone Here Undergone Prolapse Surgery?

Replies
Views
jalrein
Mar 08, 2023 5:56 pm

I have a prolapsed stoma (ileostomy); my doctors/nurses say it's fairly mild. My stoma works normally; it's just very long from top to bottom, and I hate the way it looks. My doctor says he'll do the surgery if I really want it done. My wife thinks it's a waste, and she feels I should wait until my doctor's recommendation is that it's time to do it. I'm curious as to whether anyone here has had the surgery and, if so, how were the results...

Axl
Mar 08, 2023 9:48 pm

I have had one, but be aware unless you get it relocated it will increase somewhat in diameter, as every trace of scar on the skin surface has to be removed as your appliance won't stick to a scar and will leak. If you feel you must get it done, do it; others don't have to live with it and a surgeon won't do it voluntarily.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

gentlejohn
Mar 11, 2023 2:21 pm

It happens. I believe there are belts that could control your symptoms. That might avoid surgery. There is no guarantee that it might not happen again depending on how it is surgically repaired.