Ostomy Memories of the Three Ages of Man

Replies
Views
HenryM
Jan 03, 2022 8:43 am

YOU CAN DIVIDE ANYTHING BY THREE. It may not come out even, but that’s not the point. The aim is to separate out different stages, or different places on a chart, or different elements of existence. When you’re young, for example, everything may be new to you but you become aware that it is all normal, it’s the way stuff works. In fact, that becomes your first job, to learn all this everyday stuff. That’s the First Age of Man, up until sometime in your teens. Then, it dawns on you that, if life is about nothing but all this boring normal stuff, you had better get busy looking for something more, and you start hearing about revolutionary new stuff, better or easier of smarter ways to do things, and this is when you begin looking for what ought to be your career. It is the Second Age of Man. Once you’re well into, or perhaps a little past, what we like to refer to as “middle age,” however, the excitement starts to wear off, the novelty ceases to appeal to your sense of adventure. In fact, one morning, you wake up and wonder what the hell happened to your sense of adventure. All that new stuff loses its glow; it even pisses you off when you think about it. You begin to realize that old, normal stuff isn’t so bad after all. This is the Third Age of Man. You’ve come full circle.

Past Member
Jan 04, 2022 8:19 am

Makes perfect sense Henry  but you  have to keep your sense of Wonder alive and kicking . My Mom was a tiny little woman , very smart and very dedicated to family  , like my Dad . They struggled just to feed us all .  When my Mom was around 65 my parents became regular  visitors to the US  and they took to it like a Duck to water !! 💚.  We were always afraid  Mom would get too adventurous and get  into trouble . My  stooped over tiny Mom would get up early , climb the stairs to the Elevated Bronx Subway and head off into Manhattan  by herself !!  There were  bargain clothes stores on 14th Street  and she loved to go and buy clothes for all the Grandkids and Great Grandkids  to bring home  . She had lived in London as a young girl  but fast paced New York was just  way too much for her ....We used to think  !!! Boy were we wrong . She could navigate the NY Subway like a native in no time .  She was still doing that into her 80s  every year  . Same in San Francisco . Everyone for blocks around knew her , she knew more people than I knew !!   My Mom   and Dad's sense of adventure kept them going  and all those tough early years   were topped of by adventures they never could have dreamed of when they first got hitched !! 💚☘❤....my tribute to their kind , loving , gentle souls . 

My Dad said that  Mom  would get " Itchy feet "   and get up one morning and out of the blue say ....lets go to see the Boys ...and one Girl  , NY , DC  and SF  was the  trail   and off they would go  to babysit  the kiddies and have another big adventure . 

I'm  quite sure you're no shrinking violet when it comes to adventures Henry  !!   Long may you wander  in those beautiful Canyons . ....just get home for dinner my friend  !!   ☘

Eamon .  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.