Does Medicare in Australia Cover Costs for Temporary Iliostomy?

Replies
Views
Helen 66
Apr 05, 2010 9:22 am
Hi I am new to the Forums. Can anyone in Australia tell me whether or not we get financial help from medicare with all the things I will need once I have had my surgery and have a temporary iliostomy. I am a Pommy living in Oz for the past few years, I have medicare as part of my very expensive parent visa, but I do not have private health care. How much will it all cost on a monthly basis.
Jax
Apr 05, 2010 9:56 am
Hi Helen

I am in OZ, Queensland and yes you are able to get help from Medicare. First of all, you need to see a stoma nurse at your hospital who will be able to write out forms for membership to the closest Association to you and send the forms into the Association. They will send you a SAS (Stoma Appliance Scheme) Card which is backed fully by Medicare. There is a Stoma Association in every state. You need to join one of these where you are, there will be a small annual fee then nothing unless you want something that is not on the SAS.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to answer this reply and I will tell you what I can. I work at the Gold Coast Ostomy Association as stock control volunteer. Have a fairly good knowledge of what happens.

Cheers and hope you find this message helpful.

Jax

Login to see image

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Helen 66
Apr 06, 2010 1:55 am
Thanks Jax, that helps a lot, its scary enough going in for the surgery and any info. about what happens afterwards is great. I did get a helpful email from Maree when I first registered. I think my biggest worries after the surgery apart from coping with the ostomy is food, can I drink wine.

Login to see image

Jax
Apr 06, 2010 9:17 am
Of course you can drink wine. As long as you drink in moderation as before.

Food is sometimes a bugger but I am sure you will figure it out.

JAx