I'm an oddball

Replies
Views
RonnieB2
Sep 04, 2024 3:13 am

I have an ileostomy and since I got it, only 3 times has it been nothing but liquid. It is either solid or soft served, but I didn't think you were supposed to have solid output with an ileostomy. Weird.

warrior
Sep 04, 2024 3:21 am

You are correct. But you are eating foods that bulk you up, which is good. Liquid means you are not retaining nutrients you need from food.

If your output is anything different than liquid, you are eating right. Score! šŸ˜€ Lucky you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

RonnieB2
Sep 04, 2024 3:25 am
Reply to warrior

That's helpful to know. I honestly didn't change what I ate from before I was sickā€”same food, just smaller portions because I'm not as active.

warrior
Sep 04, 2024 3:32 am
Reply to RonnieB2

šŸ‘

Beth22
Sep 04, 2024 4:13 am

My ileo runs the same way, always has, going on almost 3 years. And I have cut stuff out. Just the way my body works. And I drink my liquids. Honestly, with an ileo, with you being thicker, it's a good thing in the sense your body will hold onto water more along with nutrients.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Ben38
Sep 04, 2024 6:13 am

My ileo output always used to be solid, and on a normal day, the bag would only need to be emptied 2 times a day for the first 15 years or so until I had a perforated small intestine and had a piece of that removed. My view: you're very lucky if it's not causing any problems. Don't worry about it. Wish my output was still solid.

Beth22
Sep 04, 2024 12:25 pm
Reply to Ben38

Hey Ben, I know everyone is different, and so is their body. For me, I have been that way since I got it, and I am on my sixth stoma, not because I am thick but for other reasons. I had also talked to my doc about it. I still empty 5-7 times a day; it's just thick. For me, I am always watching my stoma and trying to adjust what I need to adjust. My body is quite different than most. I am the oppositeā€”what makes most thin and what they say makes you thin doesn't make me thin at all lol. I have a very complicated stoma and body.

w30bob
Sep 04, 2024 1:19 pm

Hi Ron'ster,

Like everything else related to ostomies... everyone is different. You can just never say never when dealing with ostomates. Your output consistency is dependent on a lot of things, such as the amount of fiber you eat, when you eat, how much you eat, how much you drink, what you drink, what meds you're on, how much small bowel you still have, if any is diseased... etc., etc., etc. You can find two ostomates with the same amount of bowel remaining, and they'll each have different output. Just like normal people... some shit once a day, some twice, some wish they could shit once a day. Same thing for us... it's just different for each of us.

Thanks for calling it 'soft serve,' what up to now used to be my favorite kind of ice cream. Now I'll have to have it hand-scooped from now on because of the mental image you just ingrained in my brain. At least I like vanilla better than chocolate. Can we refrain from calling our poop things we like, please? šŸ˜œ

;O)

RonnieB2
Sep 04, 2024 1:25 pm
Reply to w30bob

I like soft-serve ice, but that best describes it. I was actually getting soft-serve ice when it hit me smh šŸ˜­

Justbreathe
Sep 04, 2024 1:38 pm

RB2

Good news, bad news. I just completed my 4th year of the mental disenchantment anniversary of my ileostomy. So many folks on here will shake their heads in disagreement about my attitude and with good reason. Many who sport an ostomy have found a new pain-free and/or cancer-free life. We each have our own story and our own ā€œbag to bearā€ (grizzly, black, brown, or teddy).

Now, in response to your postā€¦ in my opinion, each of us has our own timeframe for healing both physically and mentally. It has taken my body about 3-1/2 years to be close to normal once again. Maybe being a senior, the ole' body took longer than most to regain normalcy.

My surgeon suggested a normal output for an ileostomate should be the consistency of oatmealā€¦ sorry, oatmeal lovers, for this comparison. šŸ¤®

Over the last 4 years, I have experienced all variables of consistency and colors of output. I am very fortunate I am able to eat or drink anything I ate BO (before ostomy). These days, the most that I can hope for is:

What goes in must come out without any pain, no matter the consistency or color. Onward and upwardā€¦ jb

Justbreathe
Sep 04, 2024 1:45 pm
Reply to w30bob

Agreeā€¦ sorry about my oatmeal referenceā€¦ think I shall use ā€œpablumā€ from now on. I know I hated that stuff as a kidā€¦ jb

w30bob
Sep 04, 2024 2:45 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

It's okay... no one really likes oatmeal... unless you dump a pound of sugar on it... and then it's really not oatmeal anymore, it's a protein bar!

;O)

RonnieB2
Sep 04, 2024 3:01 pm

One bad thing is it can be extremely painful if you are passing a large solid output.

warrior
Sep 04, 2024 3:02 pm
Reply to w30bob

Vanilla? No surprise there Hon. šŸ˜†šŸ˜…šŸ¤£

Justbreathe
Sep 04, 2024 4:49 pm
Reply to w30bob

Lol

Justbreathe
Sep 04, 2024 5:03 pm
Reply to RonnieB2

Ouchā€¦ I have never had this happen and hope, having read this, I never willā€¦ My saving grace, I believe, is psyllium fiber. I use it almost daily in a banana, vanilla almond milk, salt, psyllium powder, and protein powder smoothieā€¦ Usually have it about an hour after my cup of coffee - which is coffee in, coffee outā€¦ in short order with no trace of Coffee Mate remainingā€¦ I know, TMI (too much info), it is something ostomates seem to share on this site - which I am grateful for the educationā€¦ as sadly, there is no such thing as

Stoma Knowledge Collegeā€¦ jb

TerryLT
Sep 04, 2024 9:19 pm

Hi Ronnie, like others have said, everyone is different. It is more likely that you will have loose or liquid output with an ileostomy, but not a given. For me, it all depends on diet and how much liquid I consume. If I don't hydrate constantly, my output is really thick. Certain foods will also thicken or loosen it. Fruit will loosen it and speed up the transit time (how long it takes to exit your body), and peanut butter and bananas will thicken it and slow transit time. Experimentation is key to finding out what works best for you.

Terry