New Recruit

Replies
Views
trudel
Nov 13, 2010 3:25 pm
Good afternoon, I have not yet had a colostomy operation, but am due to go into hospital on 22nd November. I have a cancer tumour pressing on my rectum and they have to remove the rectum as well to have a "clear margin". So it looks like I'll be joining the club. I'm not too nervous yet but as the day gets nearer this will probably change. I'm not too frightened about the colostomy, but I'm sure it will be life changing and I'm trying to prepare myself.
lottagelady
Nov 13, 2010 6:50 pm
Hi and welcome! You've hit a good bunch here, so join us for a chat and feel free to ask anything - someone here will have been there and got the t-shirt! Just make sure that you get some good Stoma Nurse support too for when you come home .. good luck and keep us posted, Rach xxx
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Nov 13, 2010 9:44 pm
Welcome Trudel. I'm a new ostomate since May 2010.
It was life changing but worth it. Remember, there will be some really challenging days but - take one day at a time.
I tried tons of samples from different companies. The nurses are great with the companies. Very helpful.
Keep us posted and I wish you well.
Henry
Past Member
Nov 14, 2010 3:51 am
Hello
This is a great site that you have joined,its been such good help for me over the last year since i have joined,if you have a worry or problem someone on here usaully can help,
Pinky
Nov 15, 2010 12:18 am
Well, Trudel, you have definitely come to the right place! We take any and all new recruits. As an 8 year rectal cancer survivor, I'll let you in on a little secret - you are bypassing about 8 years of unnecessary suffering I went through insisting I not have a colostomy - ended up with one anyway! We'll be holding you in our thoughts here - you've joined a group of really nice, helpful folks :)

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Past Member
Nov 15, 2010 11:33 am
Just to wish you well on 22nd, will be thinking of you and offer up a little prayer, you've done the best possible thing in coming on this site, only wish I'd found it years ago, will be looking out for reading about your progress. I am doing washing at the moment after a weekend of "trouble", so cursing a bit for the extra work, -don't be afraid to have a good moan now and then, a problem shared is a problem halved, some fun on this site too to cheer you up, so keep us up to date with how you feel, and don't expect too quick a recovery it takes time to adjust, longer than what the hospital will tell you - don't get disheartened, I'm just amazed how many are in this situation, and how supportive everyone is. Good Luck.X
trudel
Nov 19, 2010 7:46 am
thanks to all for your welcome, and good advise.