Delicious Weight-Gaining Shakes for Post-Surgery Hunger

Replies
Views
Scicerchia
May 02, 2022 3:14 am

Hi, does anyone have any suggestions for protein shakes or weight gaining shakes that don't have a bad aftertaste? I'm a fairly new ileostomy since August, just looking to have something that tastes great and makes me feel full. Always hungry ever since my surgery.

AlexT
May 02, 2022 3:26 am

I drank Premier Protein shakes for a while, they aren't bad. 30g of protein each. I now drink Hiland chocolate milk, I think they're 16g of protein each and taste great. I also eat Pure Protein bars and they taste just about like a regular candy bar. There are many high-calorie weight gain powders/drinks that are much better now than they were years ago. Same with bars.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,874 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Scicerchia
May 02, 2022 4:08 am

Thank you so much.

AlexT
May 02, 2022 4:22 am
Reply to Scicerchia

You're welcome. Good luck.

Past Member
May 03, 2022 9:11 pm

Hi Scicerchia,

I don't know about shakes but wanted to say welcome to the forum.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Scicerchia
May 04, 2022 12:08 am

Thank you so much.

Past Member
May 04, 2022 12:44 am

Hi Scicerchia, I have had my colostomy for 2 years and just recently started being hungry all the time. I have no idea why. I think I will go see my doctor. Do you know why you are?

AlexT
May 04, 2022 2:48 am
Reply to Anonymous

Are you craving things like ice cream and pickles?

Past Member
May 04, 2022 3:15 am

LOL, ice cream, yes. Pickles, no.

AlexT
May 04, 2022 3:17 am
Reply to Anonymous

Could just be temporary cravings that'll subside in, say, 9 months.

Past Member
May 04, 2022 10:09 am
Reply to AlexT

Then that truly would be a miracle.

Scicerchia
May 04, 2022 3:17 pm
Reply to AlexT

I'm assuming I'm always hungry due to my output of my ileostomy, so I constantly crave nutrition. I do take a lot of vitamins also to try and stay somewhat healthy. I don't have any intestines, so everything is much quicker.

Scicerchia
May 04, 2022 3:20 pm

Lol, no pickles and ice cream either.

Past Member
May 04, 2022 3:21 pm
Reply to Scicerchia

I think I need to get my vitamin levels checked.

NOLA Lady
Jun 29, 2022 4:32 am

I make my own shakes. In a blender, I put 1 cup of milk, 1/2 frozen banana, some frozen strawberries, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, some soaked oats (1/2 cup - I soak them overnight and keep a container in the fridge), 1 scoop of NOW whey protein isolate (plain flavor), and some ice if needed. So yummy and satisfying. I too am always hungry with my Ileo. Short bowel syndrome makes us absorb fewer nutrients. Add any fruit or liquid you like. I don't use premade shakes; many have artificial sugars that make food go through faster.