Post-Ileostomy Concerns: Rectal Leakage and Gas Issues

Replies
Views
Maryas
Oct 12, 2018 1:57 am

had my surgery five years ago (illostomy) and the last month having lots of gas for some reason  and some issues with small stuff from my rectum.  any help appreciated.  Thanks

BeachBum61
Oct 12, 2018 2:59 am

As I was informed from my doctors,your rectum no longer functions as it once did,so mucus builds up snd needs to dispence. So unless you have ur rectum removed u eill continue to have issues. My ielostomy wss done 2 yrs age,rectum to be removed,to much infection. So it will be out in March,any advise on recovery time great

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Oct 12, 2018 5:32 am

Hello Maryas. THanks for your post. Both the issues you mention have come up several times in  the past and some interesting replies can be found in the 'Premium Cointents' section.  In the main, the gas issues are often to do with diet and the anal discharge is mucus, which (as beachbum says) we have to manage if we don't have the anus removed. 

Best wishes

Bill. 

sassie
Oct 13, 2018 10:07 pm

I've had my stoma 8 months now and the second month i pooped out "my real butt" each month at some point i'll find myself saying OH i need to  crap, then go, i mean my real butt wants to poop, i go in and yes its just kinda slime, its not bad, i can deal with it, kinda reminds me when i do that of how grateful i am to not have all the pain...

Alice is the little stoma on my tummy, she is not my butt...so around here if i say butt they all know its my butt, they know Alice is my tummy baby.lol