This is how i'm able to travel with an ostomy!

Replies
Views
~traci~
Jun 01, 2011 6:26 pm
These are some hints and tips on how to travel with an ostomy! I thought that I wouldn't beable to travel with my husband and family but I was wrong!!! As long as your prepared It should be no more of a problem then being at home!!!I I'm so glad that I didn't let an ostomy from traveling the world and experienced different cultures and helping other crohns and colitis with ostomy patients get supplies that they so desperately need! I know I didnt think of everything so if you have a tip or hint please add to this list! ~traci~

Pre-cut pouches at home to avoid having to carry scissors if flying.They will not let you take scissors on your carry on bag.You can however pack them in your checked luggage.They do make mould able flanges that eliminates having to cut an opening.Make sure you pack extra supplies better too many then no enought.

Pack ostomy supplies in carry-on and checked luggage to avoid problems with lost luggage and loss of supplies. Take extra supplies in case of unexpected delays.Place extra supplies in thecar if traveling by land, keeping supplies in the coolest part of the car. Include wipes, tissues and bandage tape. Pack bottled water for irrigation of ostomy if needed. Include disposal bags for used ostomy items. Include over-the-counter medications to counteract diarrhea such as Imodium or Kaolin. Label all medications and ensure caps are closed tightly.If you packing these on your carry on remember that you are only aloud -

Containers of liquids, aerosols or gels in your carry-on must be 100 ml/100 grams (3.4 oz) or less.

All containers must fit in 1 clear, closed, resealable plastic bag no more than 1 litre (1 quart) in capacity. The approximate dimensions of a one litre/quart bag are 15.24 cm by 22.86 cm (6 in. by 9 in.) or 20 cm by 17.5 cm (8 in. by 7 in.).

At the screening point, take your plastic bag out of your carry-on and place it in one of the provided trays.

Drink or discard any beverages in containers over 100 ml before pre-board security screening.

Any containers over 100 ml should be placed in checked baggage.

Carry a statement from your physician stating the need for ostomy supplies in case of luggage search and any misunderstanding of supplies and accessories. Include your physician's name, address and phone number.

Before the screening process begins, inform the Screening Officer that you have an ostomy, and present him/her withthe doctor's note. Although not mandatory, such supporting documentation will facilitate the screening process. Please note that you may request a private search if additional screening is required.

Name________________________________________
Address______________________________________

Type of Surgery________________________________

Physician_____________________________________

Physician Phone_______________________________

-------------------------FOLD--------------------------

For humane reasons, please carry out personal and luggage examinations discreetly. The cardholder has had an ostomy operation. Security screening and/or a body search may contain pouches and products for treatment of the ostomy as well as necessary medical supplies.

This is an example of a travel card! You can make your own or google Ostomy travel card. http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/liquids_declaration.pdf Is a card that you can print out!

Plan ahead for locations to stop and check pouch for emptying if traveling by car to avoid unnecessary leakage problems. Plan for plane transfers if flying and check pouch during transfer in airport.Its probably a good idea to bring along the small bottles of ostomy deodorants with you and use it before your board the plane. If you have an ileostomy and find yourself with travelers diarrhea you might want to use a product like Gel-X Gel-x is

Those ileostomates who have used Gel-X on a routine basis have achieved the best results. This means they have placed 2-3 capsules in their pouch each time it was emptied. While the benefits were not the same for everyone, the following list is typical:

Less residual fluid around the stoma

Healthier peristomal skin

Reduced pouch noise

Slight increase in wearing time

Reduced splashing while emptying

Helped maintain a lower profile

Helped control leaks

Added peace of mind

How to use:

Place 1-3 capsules in the pouch after each emptying. The number of capsules will depend upon individual needs. Remember that each capsule will solidify about 150 ml of fluid. If you prefer to empty the pouch frequently perhaps one capsule will be enough. Two or three capsules may be necessary if you use a large pouch or cannot empty it frequently.

Drink a glass of water or fruit juice every hour to maintain hydration during travel. Stand for at least one minute every hour to promote circulation and reduce leg cramps. Seek medical attention while traveling for any unusual signs or symptoms. Keep phone numbers immediately available. Call the doctor or ostomy nurse for severe cramps, accidental cuts, excessive bleeding at the site of ostomy, severe skin irritations or ulcers, or decreased or no output in pouch for four or more hours.

Treating or preventing dehydration caused by diarrhea. I use this when I am on a tropical vacaton , There called Electrolyte Powder Packets theyare a carbohydrate and electrolyte combination. It works by replacing electrolytes and carbohydrates in the body to prevent dehydration. If Im staying at a resort I found it very helpful to introduce myself to the doctor and tell him/her of my restricted diet.They can order you a special diet and ask for them to keep your room stocked with lots of water and fruit juices.

Primeboy
Jun 02, 2011 4:46 pm
Excellent information, Trac. Thanks. I would only add a word of caution about lifting heavy luggage especially when running to make connections at airports. This advice probably applies to everyone, but especially to ostomates within 90 days of their surgery.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.