Switching from Dumping to Disposing Colostomy Pouches: Advice Needed

Replies
Views
Grammy8
Sep 01, 2022 3:00 pm

Hello. I have had my colostomy for 16 years. I have had a closed-end pouch for several years and dump my stool into the toilet. Lately, I am finding that I am making a mess of everything (clothes, toilet, etc.) and wondered how many just bag up the entire pouch and throw it into the trash? I have done this on vacations, etc., but never at home.

Just looking for some feedback/advice on this.

Thank you.

Hairdresser
Sep 01, 2022 3:16 pm

Hi

I use a two-piece with an open end. I empty into the toilet after I flush and as the water is receding. It helps with the splash.

Also, I do as my surgeon advised me to do… aim for the toilet paper in the bowl! That too helps with the splash!

Good luck! 🍀

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Sep 01, 2022 3:21 pm

Two things come to mind.
1) Does your insurance cover enough bags per month to do this, or are you willing to pay for more bags?

2) Are you willing to always carry a bag with you in order to change it out when necessary? I know you said this was at home, but you won't always be at home when you need to put a bag on. I guess with a two-piece you could alternate, but that'd be a hassle in my opinion.

Caz67
Sep 01, 2022 6:47 pm

I change and dump but have an ileostomy, so I do tend to get through about 6 bags a day. I live in the UK and we get free supplies. I did try the other system but hated it. XX

Homie With A Stomie NS
Sep 01, 2022 9:32 pm

I use one piece, drainable, empty, and toss it into black doggie poop bags from the dollar store and toss it in household trash.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play