Rear end question

Replies
Views
yaya
Dec 30, 2010 5:52 pm
I am getting the final step of my Ileostomy (removal of rectum etc).. What can I expect, discomfort wise?  How long a recovery is it?  I had my Ile in October of this year.  I really am not looking forward to another major surgery in a month or two.  Would appreciate some comfort (if you can call it that) with details.  Thanks much.  Yaya
beyondpar
Dec 30, 2010 7:20 pm
Ya Ya  ( I blieve greek for grandma?  am i right?)

I hope this helps,

So you are about to become a barbie butt.....LOL..........I am a Ken butt...all sewed up and loving it...no more issues down there ever.........

With regard to recovery,  everyone is different,,,,,,,,,,some things you might want to be aware of is  

1.  be careful on where you sit and go gingerly as the butt cheeks and the sewing that takes place down there is extremely delicate and you dont want to mess that up....so for a while you might want to have  a sitting pillow to sit on........

2.  as far as as the wound,  and its healing process.....I will give you my journey........My cheeks beyond the anus area  were sewed together in two diff areas to protect the sewed up anal area...........as time went on the outer layers of sewn butt cheeks is where the stiches would disappear and allow my cheeks to start spreading.........no joke......this is and was done to protect the site of anal area that was sewed and i think to remind me of the operation.......You will realize after the surgery just how important and how often used are the butt cheeks.

3.  once my cheeks had opened up and you could now see the anal sewed up area(  I couldnt but my docs could)  my wound would seep as that area never had a chance to dry .......Its a dark and moist area and healing for me took a while.......I would wear a feminine napkin down there to keep dry ..........MY healing took longer than most,  but i have know people on this site to heal w/in 6 weeks to a half a year.........

I wish you well and Hope i have helped...Michael

Upon re reading your post,  am i right in saying you are having the anus closed as well?  I originally assumed rectal stump removal requires anus  to be sewed as well.....Just wondering.

PS.  the time frames are anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months healing time.........albeit mine was a bit longer.  but no worries.  Yourl ife is gonna improve again.  Mine certainly has
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

aHappyGirl
Dec 31, 2010 5:07 pm
Hi, Yaya.  Mine was so long ago I can hardly remember.  And so I can't really comment on what happens immediately after the surgery.  But here are some points for more in the future.  Some may seem silly, but hey, the stuff on the Internet is too technical.  So this is a great forum for the non-technical.  

1.  first & foremost, you will be fine.  It just takes awhile to totally heal.  But to reduce that time, be sure to be as healthy as possible before the surgery.  You don't want to have any sepsis or anything.  If you can even have a few extra pounds on, great.  

2.  Your butt will still look normal - i.e., 2 cheeks, just a closed anus.  My scar is actually a tiny flap (2 inches lengthwise, 1/4 inch protrusion), like they sewed it from the outside.  If I had it to do over again, I would ask the surgeon why this is - i.e., why it sticks out a little.   But I am a bit on the vain side, so..  but really, the butt looks regular - you only see the flap (which is really tiny) if you spread the cheeks (sorry to be so graphic)  -- If you need more info on this, write to me.

3.  You will have to be careful about sitting on the toilet when you pee - taking care not to let your "cheeks" spread (which naturally happens on a toilet seat).  So sit down carefully - figure out the best way not to let the cheeks spread.

4.  The pillow mentioned above is a God-send.  Mine was called "The HOLY pillow" because it has a hole in the middle.  You need that hole in the middle - like a donut pillow.  Take it wherever you go & if you need to disguise the hole, just put a case over it.

5.  My doctor must have left some muscles in place because I still have some sphincter sensation & movement.  Kind of unimportant but I just thought I'd throw that point in here.

6.  Oh yeah, no more anal sex he-he-he.

Hope this helps.  Good luck & know that there is a brighter future ahead.

Patty
yaya
Dec 31, 2010 5:29 pm
Hey Michael..Thank you so very much for an honest appraisal of your journey.  I am new to the whole ostomy deal and you are correct that I am having the stump removed.  I was too sick to have the whole kit and kaboodle (so to speak) done.  The whole sewing up of the bottom really has me freaked..I know it is for the best and I know I will have no more worries down in the land of the abyss (sp)...yet it still scares me.  It's part of the reason I am jumping in and getting it done asap..no turning back.

YaYa is indeed the Greek word for Grandma.  I wasn't too sure about it when my Daughter suggested that I go by the name...however, it is very special and unique (though there are more and more YaYa's around).. Thinking of getting my license plate to read "YaYa43"  too dorky do you think?  Could be fun.  

Ok..Have a great New Year and be safe and happy and healthy in 2011.  Take care.  Jody
yaya
Dec 31, 2010 5:37 pm
Patty .. thanks so much for the info.  I do feel somewhat relieved after reading your and Mike's reply.. You can't be too graphic with me..I would rather have the truth spelled out for me than to wonder what the experience will be like (I know everyone's healing time, surgical procedure, and outcome

Login to see image

is different).  It's nice to have an idea.  No more anal sex..you are so bad!  Take care and have a wonderful, happy and joyous New Year.  Jody

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
butterfly48
Dec 31, 2010 7:26 pm

Login to see image

I agree with every detail that was explained to you.  That's what makes this site so wonderful we all learn from each other.  Try to get this info from your doctor they just don't communicate details.

Login to see image

The key is for you to be comfortable while your healing.  A doughnut cushion to sit on does work, or in my case I used a thick piece of rubber to sit on and actually put on top of my bed to make myself a little more comfortable at night. I highly recommend a shower hose so you can spray back there for cleaning because it is almost impossible to keep clean with just a tissue, or wash cloth.  This also stops the itching

Login to see image

Best of Luck

Login to see image

butterlyfly 48
Immarsh
Jan 02, 2011 8:25 am
Hi Ya Ya,

Best of luck to you with the surgery.  I too had to have it done in parts, and the doctor's made me wait 4 years to remove the rectal stump.  In those 4 years, it didn't heal, and at 19 I wanted all of the disease gone.  I had some complications following surgery, but I never regret going ahead with it, and that's nearly 40+ years ago.  

Make sure they use a non-allergic tape.  Back in the "dark ages" they didn't and I developed a serious allergic reaction and had hives wherever the tape had been.  I didn't feel the effects of the surgery for days,  because the itching was so bad.  But that too, cleared up.  

Because the surgery resulted in bladder damage ( lack of sensation) my bladder didn't work for 10 weeks post op.  On a positive note, because I needed a urinary catheter for so long, I was able to keep the incision relatively clean. so the healing was uneventful.    Once the bandages were removed, I found it refreshing  to expose the incision  to air  ( not a pretty site I'm sure) but it did help keep the area dry for periods of time.  Give yourself the luxury of doing that ( even under the covers or sheets) for as long  and as often as possilbe.  

I too still have the sphincter intact.....which sometimes leads to feeling pressure.... like you might want to pass gas, but that's a passing feeling.  Also, once you're able to, do the "keigels' ( vaginal exercises)  just to get use to exercising the area that was traumatized.

I used a pillow at times, but I actually found the pressure on the incision comforting at time.  I know that it sounds strange, but when I got off the bed and started walking, I had the feeling that my "butt" was draggin .  The pressure of sitting actually  felt good.  But then, I had the same reaction years later, after giving birth ( vaginally) to my kids.  It might be "unique" to me.

BTW,  I don't have any kind of "flap" nor did I have extra stitches to keep my butt cheeks together.  At the time, they used a very tight "pressure bandage, that pulled the cheeks together.  That wa probably the adhessivie that caused the allergic reaction & the case of hives.  

Again...the best of luck to you.  Ask any questions you want to ask, and I'msure someone here will be glad to answer.  

Marsha

PS....In case you're curious....it did take a little time to heal, but sex/ intercouse went well once I healed.  B ut like all other "rectum-less folks", no anal sex.   Although there is some Anal area available for playing.....but that might be too TMI.
mooza
Jan 02, 2011 11:14 am

Login to see image

Hi maya just a quick note i hade bum (rectum cut out from damage from crohn;s i am still weeping the surgeon said

Login to see image

That people with Crohns didease dont heal well .. So i am Still bloody waiting grrr ..If i could only turn bac time dont get me wrong  am sure other very lucky people healed up quicker than nearly 3 years

Login to see image

Login to see image

Keep me upto date wats your problem i know others with different diseases healed really quick xx cheers mare    =mooza  xxxxxxxxxxx

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

loren4life
Jan 03, 2011 12:36 am
Yeah, the pillow was a relief for me also.  I got to watch my ex wife use one after child birth so I guess I got my chance when they sewed me up.  Loren
groovyheaven
Jan 29, 2011 9:54 pm
Hi,

I was thinking of having this same op at the same time as a hernia repair. I've never really had a problem with the lower part of my bowel until last month. At the moment I have a 'double-barrelled' colostomy, but here is the probem I encountered. Apparentlyit's rare and I apologize if it seems a bit crude, but here goes!

A month or so ago I was having really bad cramps in my bottom basically. I would be crying in pain and sweating and was just in agony. The doctor gave my buscapan and tramadol which helped, but the tramadol made my really drowsy and were messing up my days so bad. After a few weeks of these 'pains' I was having a particularly bad pain and without being say crude I decided to feel my bottom to see if I could relieve the pain and I had the shock of my life. I felt a poo. Now having a colostomy this was really scary as I haven't had a poo in 3 years. I really panicked and as it being such a personal problem was totally confused as to whether to call my mum - and being 18 not the sort of thing you want to share with your mum - or just get on with it.  But as the pain was getting unbearable I called my mum because I just didn't know what to do. Anyway to skip to the end I had the most huge poo that I have ever had in my life and after that the pain completely stopped. My mum compared it with having a baby - not sure how acurate that is, but it seriously felt like it!

Please let me know how you go! xxx