Daily Colostomy Irrigation Challenges and Solutions

Replies
Views
Jeanniepatz
Sep 07, 2022 11:13 pm

My husband has had a colostomy for several years. He has transitioned to daily irrigation. Originally, things were fine, but for the past year, he has needed 'help' getting things to move 'on demand' after inserting the water. He has found that taking prune juice an hour or so before he irrigates works well, but now his body is needing more and more - he's up to about 12 oz of prune juice every day before he irrigates. I hate to think he needs to drink that every day for the rest of his life. Does anybody do anything different to get things moving prior to daily irrigation?

darick
Sep 07, 2022 11:39 pm

I irrigate every other weekday (Mon/Wed/Fri). I usually do it first thing in the morning. I find drinking a glass of water beforehand helps, so the colon doesn't absorb a bunch of the water to rehydrate. I put in around 1000ml of lukewarm water; if it's too cold, it shocks the system and doesn't work as well. After it's all in, I start massaging my abdomen to help things move around, and take some full breaths to have the diaphragm also move things around.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

darick
Sep 07, 2022 11:40 pm

Also, have him check out the UOAA forums under the Irrigation subsection, more helpful tips and tricks in there. https://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=12