Can You Rinse a 2-Piece Pouch Like a 1-Piece?

Replies
Views
Hisbiscus
Jul 25, 2024 3:21 pm

My nurse gave me a sample of a 2-piece pouch to try out, but my question is... can you rinse with water when emptying like you can with a 1-piece?

Mysterious Mose
Jul 25, 2024 3:59 pm

Yes, of course.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Hisbiscus
Jul 25, 2024 4:10 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thanks, Mr. Mose, I wasn't sure if it might leak up around where the pouch connected to the flange. No leaks from it in that area? I get output up that high sometimes. Actually, all the way to the top.

Beachboy
Jul 25, 2024 5:29 pm

I've only used 2-piece Hollister. The flange seal is pretty good. The only leak I've had in 17 months was my fault. I didn't snap the bag on all the way at the flange bottom. Now I use a mirror to check. I've snapped bags on and off multiple times with no problem. I always wear a thin Hollister bag retention belt. If I plan on being active, I switch to a Nu-Hope hernia support belt.

I never rinse the bags when I empty... too lazy.

Mysterious Mose
Jul 25, 2024 6:20 pm
Reply to Hisbiscus

The only time I had a connection issue with my Hollister 18182 snap-close systems was when my stoma nurse loosened the pouch to check my stoma. She did not close the seal properly and I stupidly did not check. I don't often let my bag get as full as you describe, but it has happened.

Daniel

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Kas
Jul 26, 2024 12:43 am

I use a 2-piece Hollister and I've never had a problem from rinsing.

Hisbiscus
Jul 26, 2024 6:14 am

Thanks! It's always good to get a heads up.

Hisbiscus
Jul 26, 2024 6:15 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

It's not that I get full, but the pancaking at times.

infinitycastle52777
Jul 26, 2024 5:16 pm

I don't really rinse my bag, but I use a 2-piece and the seal is pretty good. I rarely have had an issue with leaks. It does happen occasionally, but I think everyone has an occasional leak. I wouldn't worry about it leaking, and if it does, just change the bag and move on. It isn't the end of the world. At least that is what I have come to believe since I have had an occasional leak.