First Time Flying with a Stoma: Tips Needed

Replies
Views
ChristopherDL
Oct 16, 2010 5:23 pm

This weekend I'm going on a plane. Not only is this the first time I've been on a plane, but also the first time traveling with a stoma.

I was wondering if there were any precautions I should take when flying. It's only a 2-hour flight, but I'm still a bit nervous. Also, is there anything I should do with my stoma nurse, since I only got the surgery 5 months ago?

Thanks
Login to see image

beatrice
Oct 16, 2010 5:37 pm

Yikes -- you're not leaving us much time to reply to you
Login to see image
!

Here's the link where we've talked about the airport scans: https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1761

Also, remember to have some supplies with you (carry-on).

Remember to drink some water during the flight - keep hydrated.

If there is time to contact your stoma nurse, it wouldn't be a bad idea to touch base with her -- as she'll know if there is anything specific to your situation that she should tell you about -- but you should be okay.

Two hours is a good first flight time. Try to relax and have a good time.

And remember to take double the amount of supplies with you for your trip as you think you will need. Maybe half of that in carry-on... checked luggage has a way of getting lost, especially when there is important stuff inside
Login to see image

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

WOUNDED DOE
Oct 17, 2010 8:01 am
Hi ChristopherDL

Login to see image

I have been on many flights in the past...never a problem, but like Beatrice mentioned, make sure you take extra supplies along dear

Login to see image

...also, might not be a bad idea to always make sure you are wearing comfortable, looser clothing over your stoma to help make sure you don't have a "blow-out" as so many of us refer

Login to see image

You will be just fine

Login to see image

Login to see image

Safe journey, safe return!

Login to see image

~Your Doe
junopete
Oct 20, 2010 4:24 am

Chris

Make sure you have a spare appliance with you. Get on the plane, no big deal at all.
For a short flight, don't eat or drink. No point in fighting the bag filling while in the air.

Have a good flight

Rick...

WOUNDED DOE
Oct 22, 2010 8:23 am

YES!!.....I forgot about the 'no eating' part.... Good idea. Christopher, that is something we osties learn to hold off on in certain situations if, as mentioned, it's for a short period of time. Hey Christopher, let us know either here or in mail how your first flight went
Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
tuckerfolk
Oct 25, 2010 4:15 am
I've had my ileostomy now for 3 years and in that time I've gone to ?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /st1:State w:st="on"st1:place w:st="on"Hawaii/st1:place/st1:State, (10 hours in a plane with tight restrooms), three cruises, and many camping trips in our 5th wheel. I never leave home without my backpack. It's packed with fresh underwear, a couple of large garbage bags (one to stand on and one to put all soiled clothing), all my ostomy supplies, a roll of paper towel, and baby wipes. I've only had to really use the whole kit once in three years, which isn't bad. Finally, I never leave home on vacations or visits without my pouches pre-loaded with the disposable liners. In fact, I always carry two in my back pocket opposite my wallet. They are packaged in black doggy poo bags obtained from the dollar store. If I can, I flush down the liner and repackage the pouch in the doggy bag, but if the toilet is connected to a septic system, I just place the liner in the doggy bag, knot it up, and discreetly deposit it in the waste container on the way out. Those liners are great because I get two uses out of my pouches, one with a liner and one without. I also use those doggy bags to dispose of my used pouches at home. I usually empty the pouch in the toilet before packaging it up in the bag, but when there is no toilet (like out in the woods, once even in the car), I put the pouch and poo in the bag and find a waste container later.
swiffer
Oct 27, 2010 4:27 pm

Did you make it? I know I am late, but for anyone reading this in the future, I put some deodorizer in my bag to keep the gas down, and you can take round-nose scissors on the plane if you need to. Bottles have to be really small and factory-marked if you take anything in them (deodorizer) and all the other things people have said. Now, if you get really nervous about the bag, just tell the stewards and they will take care of you. I love to fly but still get weirded out just before boarding until takeoff, then I calm down. The view is great from up there!