Seeking Advice on Cervical Discetomy and Fusion Surgery

Replies
Views
freedancer
Jul 17, 2018 11:44 pm

I have a two part question.  First, I found out last Friday that I will need to have a Cervical Discetomy and fusion of C5 and C6 in my neck.  There is talk of a total disk replacement as well so they are weighing this decision.  Have any of you had this/these proceedures?  Did it help you?  I am most worried about being able to move my head well enough to change Maxine when needed.  I worry that I won't be able to look down enoughto see what I need to do.  For those of you that have had this proceedure done, what were the challanges that you had to deal with?  Did you have any issues with your ostomy while in surgery or after??  Maybe I am just being silly about it all but I do worry.  Did any of you have the shoulder pain and numbness in your arm or hands due to this issue?  Did the surgery help you?  I wasn't sure where to ask the question so I just asked it here.  Thanks!  Pamela

Glori
Jul 18, 2018 1:40 am

You might try to use a mirror while standing at the bathroom vanity.  Just a small mirror on the counter that is angled to allow you to see things.  You also might need to request a home health care nurse while you recover.  Best of luck to you!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.