25yr old with Crohn's... need help!

Replies
Views
Rach1987
Aug 02, 2013 10:24 pm
Hello everyone,

My wonderful boyfriend was diagnosed with Crohn's disease six years ago and after exhausting all options, he is now facing the very real prospect of having an end ileostomy.

Before the disease took hold of him, he was very active. He is a very talented roller hockey player, wakeboarder and rock climber, but whilst he has been so poorly in recent years he's been unable to do any of this stuff.

SO whilst he's not really doing it in his current state, I think he is even more concerned that living with a stoma will wipe out his chances of ever playing hockey again, of ever wakeboarding again, etc.

What I'm asking is if there is anyone out there, regardless of reason for having a stoma, who can maybe let my boyfriend know that life goes on with a stoma? I see and read so many positive stories from you guys on here and from elsewhere on the web and it's great to see.

By the same token, if there is anyone out there who is about our age (25ish) and wouldn't mind talking to my boyfriend, just as someone who understands his concerns, I would be eternally grateful. I just want to help him in whatever way I can, because i hate seeing him so sad

Login to see image

I'm also very happy to meet other partners of Crohn's disease/UC/IBD patients to share experiences with.

Thanks for reading! I hope to hear from you soon.
ron in mich
Aug 03, 2013 12:54 am
hi rach tho i am not your age i,ve had an ostomy since i was in my mid thirties and even tho i dont play hockey i,ve done a lot of other activities, hunting, fishing, swimming/hot tubs, snow mobiling and worked 40hrs. a week also they make whats called an ostoguard for contact sports, so dont let an ileo. hold him back it didnt for me.  good luck ron in mich.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mark Strobel
Aug 03, 2013 5:54 am
Life definitely goes on.  I had my permanent ileostomy since 2009 after a long bout with Crohn's disease.  I used to be very sick before the surgery taking high dosages of medication.  After the surgery, I am no longer sick.  I am no longer taking prescribed medication.

I know that this is a scarey procedure, but I would rather be healthy with a stoma than sick without it.
WOUNDED DOE
Aug 03, 2013 7:16 am
Hi Rach!

Login to see image

Login to see image

.......no worries with having a stoma and having life's activities slowing down .....I am trying so hard to think of the name of a Professional Football Player who has a stoma, I will repost if I think of it, but at any rate, I've had my ostomy since age 10 and this month I will turn 47 and having an ileostomy has never stopped nor prevented me from doing Anything I wanted to do

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

I grew up a hard working farm girl, tossing heavy hay bails around and working with animals, splitting wood and much hard labor since I was a kid, also have always been extremely active with skiing, swimming, snow shoeing, kayaking, rock climbing, sword fighting, saddle breaking horses, and back in my teen years played softball, 28 years of Animal Rescue with both domesticated and wildlife kept me busy and no matter what aspect of my life kept me busy or entertained, that stoma never got in the way, not at all, .....anything I get the inspiration to do, I'm doing it, even at this age.........I want to encourage everyone best I can..........keep us informed and feel free to ask any other questions you may have.........

Much love and encouragement to each of you!

~Doe
rvhumbug
Aug 07, 2013 5:49 am
Well, I'm a little older (66) but I have had my ileostomy for 51 years! Got it after a 6 month bout of UC when I was a sophomore in High school! In terms of playing sports, I was a manager for high school baseball, played on a club basketball team, played touch football in college, and was the catcher on an industrial league fast pitch softball team.

I've snorkeled on the Great Barrier Reef, have a pilots license, family and a 40 year career.

Basically what I'm trying to say is there is nothing you can't do if you want to. Ok, maybe not an astronaut.

The pro football player is Rolf Bernerschke, who was a kicker for the San Diego Charges, both before and after Ileostomy surgery.

Hope this helps.

Login to see image

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Past Member
Aug 07, 2013 11:21 am
Hi there all the way from Australia!

Your partners story is so similar to mine. I was 21 when I was diagnosed but before becoming sick I was a really athletic person. The crohns  put a stop to all of that and medication was terrible for my body. Two years ago I had my permanent end ileostomy and I have never felt better, even the day after the surgery I felt healthier, and I'm now off all meds. It has been a steady road to recovering my musculature but now I am surfing, jogging, rock climbing for the first time in ten years! I'm thirty now and I feel better than I did in my early 20's. not to say that you don't need to take precautions like  stoma guards etc, but my surgery gave me back my life, I will never look back!

Hope all goes well!

Cheers

Carly
Br8knitOFF
Aug 07, 2013 2:11 pm
I also play hockey (ice), wakeboard, softball, etc. and it hasn't slowed me down 1 bit.

I'd be happy to lend a hand, point him in the right direction (finding the right products that work), lend emotional support, etc.

//Todd
Past Member
Aug 07, 2013 2:35 pm
The football player was a kicker named Rolf Benirschke who played for the San Diego Chargers for 7 years after his ostomy and then went on to a successful announcer's and author's career. He is  still "Alive and Kicking".

Login to see image

Past Member
Aug 08, 2013 1:07 pm
Visit http://www.hollister.com/anz/ostomy/resource/sports.html#Contact for reassuring info on contact sports after getting an ileostomy.
Jupiter
Aug 09, 2013 3:21 am
He will be able to do everything he did before.
Rach1987
Aug 10, 2013 8:13 pm
I am overwhelmed by everyone's positivity. You will not believe the encouragement this has given to my man

Login to see image

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Todd, thanks so much for your offer. I can't initiate a private message as I need to pay a subscription charge... Can you message me and I'll reply?

Rach
coletilly
Aug 12, 2013 11:18 am
Hi I am 58 and have been dealing with issues for a long time around 13 yrs ago I was diagnosed with adult hirshprungs then since Feb I have been feeling horrible about 3 weeks ago my bowels shut down and ended up in hospital now I am looking at ileostomy because they took out 90 percent of my large intestine I am nervous also as I am older but I won't let this get me down I do believe attitude is one thing we all need

Login to see image