Travel first trip abroad with my bag

Replies
Views
StarUK
Jan 18, 2011 4:08 pm
Hey just booked a flight to Moscow for next month its my first trip with my bag and i am nervous about the flight and managing but i am excited too, I have always gone to way out places pre bag so roughing it doesn't worry me, but there is only so much roughing it you can do with a stoma, I am surprising a friend who turns 50 next month she doesn't know i'm coming so i think she will be delighted to see me its supposed to me 20 below so i will have so many layers on no one will notice the bag anyway. The biggest problem i have had is travel insurance declaring your health issues really bumps up your premuim and they won't cover you for pre existing conditons anyway so whats the point but you do it anyway smile while they mug you :)

Anyway that my news

Trish/Star

lottagelady
Jan 18, 2011 7:58 pm
Yay - go girl! Wish I could've been that brave! I am sure you will have an amazing time xxx
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

wend
Jan 19, 2011 3:31 pm
Yes i agree, go girl!, make sure you get one of those medical cards that ive just got, which explains our condition in all the different languages, just in case you need it,
have a great time, x
joe shenton
Jan 19, 2011 5:34 pm
Hi Staruk
I travaled a few times had no problems
Flying I use a drainable pouch they
Very good If needs must you just
Open the and squeeze the out put
Down the toilet wipe the pouch
then use AuriCare into the pouch
Stops the odur right away fold the
End up then put back flap heypressto
your right again
Don't forget you Medical explains all
Good luck
Joe
Past Member
Jan 21, 2011 5:11 pm
Greetings,

I have traveled around the world involving several trips to Japan and the UAE among other places. The only thing, and I find this essential on a long flight, is to make sure I get an aisle seat. In this way you don't have to jump over people when it is time to "evacuate" the pouch. Peole just don't take kindly to this especially if they are sleeping. Make sure you can do this either ahead of time or by getting to the airport check-in earlier enough. Also, keep on your person an extra pouch, adhesive wafer and plastic bag etc. for disposal in the event that you spring any kind of leak. You can just duck into the "unoccupado" room to do a change.The pat down does vary from port to port. The most extensive i have found is in Dulles, Wash. DC. But it goes smoothly; don't worry. Have have fun.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
StarUK
Mar 16, 2011 1:37 pm
Well Survived Russia but my god it was cold ! my stoma was sore i guess it didn't like being cold either, but i got out and about had a quick flight from Moscow to St Petersburg security was amazing because of the bomb at Moscows main airport but i had no problem bag didn't explode on the plane or anything lol. So maybe its time to consider somewhere else now
gordonc
May 01, 2013 9:57 am
Hello StarUK, well done flying to Russia, its always been on my to do list,I have done loads of flying around the world, 18 months ago I flew to NZ, I was pretty worried about leaks etc,( I have a urostomy stoma) but just thought what the hell if I get a leak I get a leak. I stopped over in Singapore on the outwatd journey, and the main problem was because of the humidity, my baseplate wasnt sticking too well.I have had my stoma now for coming on 20 years, and never found insurance to be a problem, most companies will insure me,infact MS insurance was cheaper when I told them about mr stoma. Have fun in your life sod what anyone else thinks, its your life,your stoma and at the end of the day your shitin the bag!!
StarUK
May 01, 2013 10:21 am
Hi yes had a few more trips since then no major disasters so I am feeling braver. I have come to realise this isn't the end of the world I have to get on with it
gordonc
May 01, 2013 10:25 am
of course its not the end of the world, be brave and stand tall!!email me anytime dbusman09@hotmail.co.uk
StarUK
May 01, 2013 8:11 pm
A actually have a cruise booked for June sharing the cabin with a friend cheats way of traveling but great for someone who hates travelling lightly
gordonc
May 02, 2013 8:15 am
cruise sounds amazing, where you cruising? I am hoping to book a cruise for my 50th (18 months away!)not sure where I want to go, but probably somewhere diffrent from the norm.have fun
StarUK
May 02, 2013 9:12 am
Oh around the med no where we haven't been before but we had limited choices with our dates and it was a bargain 750 pounds for 11 days
gordonc
May 02, 2013 12:38 pm
sounds like a great bargain. enjoy x