pouch

Replies
Views
lynsie
Jan 22, 2011 1:17 am
gonna try filter/pouch, bag blows up at times...things i eat, dont like opening/resealing all time, will give this a go - as well still waiting for hernia belt, been using tensor wrap...sure helps w breathing, standing walking, hernia part of surgeries, removed stomach muscles. w/o belt seems like pregnant, never what it looks like - lol

Past Member
Jan 22, 2011 2:09 am
recently have used pouch with the filter (Convatec). Interestingly, I found the filters on the shorter appliances to be ineffective regarding odor protection (has activated charcoal).The higher uutput pouches with the filters are much more effective regarding the odor elimination. Also note, I have found that with the shorter pouches fecal material does back out through the filter and will soil.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

lynsie
Jan 22, 2011 2:18 am
been w hollister since aug 20, trying to stay w same brands...bro-inlaw owns health supply store, sis is a nurse - helpful...i will tryout new filter/pouch next week
loren4life
Jan 22, 2011 4:22 am
I wish there were a perfect solution for this issue. I, too, don't like the pouch balloning up. That can be solved but does look and feel weird at times. I clearly remember this causing at least one blow out on a trip to Mexico.
I've since switched to filters. Mercutio is correct the filters leak and odor control isn't perfect but wasn't perfect pre ostomy either so...?
Is anyone aware of a mfg with an impressive filter? I won't be switching away from filters anytime soon. Hoping to learn more.
Loren
Past Member
Jan 22, 2011 7:59 pm
Loren4,
Well, as I said above the high utput convatec pouches with the filters are much better and what I like about them is they come with replaceable filters, so if there is some odor after a while, you can just put in a new one. If you call Convatec and talk to a nurse there (they are more than happy to help)they will gladly send you free samples. I used Hollister for 31 years and have recently swithed after talking to and dealing with Convatec. Here is their number:1-800-422-8811. They refer to it as their customer interaction center. Give it a try.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play