so i thought an ostomy was supposed to give me a life again...ummm

Replies
Views
jelly
Sep 12, 2011 12:43 am
yesterday was my first official day of work, since i got an ileostomy, (last april) and its nothing hard, im work at an organic juice bar. well i get sick, puke three times, once before driving there, once when i get there, and once after i tell my boss i dont feel well and have to get home, at a stop light, im not even home yet... maybe it was my nerves, but its been forever since i was healthy enough to have a job, and now im free of the crohns (basically) and i still get sick, on my first day of the job no less! has this happened to anyone?????

budd002
Sep 12, 2011 4:21 am
Could have just been nerves? Had you been feeling ill the day before?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

girlygirl
Sep 13, 2011 6:30 pm
it takes a lot to get your confidence back after these dredful ops, so hopefully it nerves that wiil fade evenually, i,m the same,it kinda knocks the stuffing out of you.xx
jelly
Sep 14, 2011 4:52 pm
yea i figured it was nerves, and ive only had my ileostomy for like 4 months. my last legit job was a year ago, and since then i havent been able to hold up a job b/c of crohns. thats why i was so pissed that i got sick, i mean im fine and healthy, no crohns lingering anywhere, i mean, i just ate a meat ball sub and feel great..come now. i worked there for 2 days and i was stressed out and freaking out, like how i felt that shitty week after surgery. ahhhh! now that im not working im fine again, just got no money :p
budd002
Sep 14, 2011 5:35 pm
So they fired you? I try to make things a mind over matter thing. I forget about the crohn's and concentrate on the task at hand.What kind of work do you do? Remember no one will know you have crohn's unless you tell tell them same applies to your ostomy. I work in an office of 60 and only 4 ppl know and that's only because I have known 3 of them for 25+ years and the other was my boss whom has many medical issues as well, we sit and compare notes on surgeries...

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
CHAR2011
Sep 20, 2011 8:22 pm
HELLO I WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE COULD GIVE ME SOME ADVICE. I JUST GOT A SURGERY DONE ON SEPT 8TH. I HAD DIVERTICULITIS AND THEY REMOVED THE AFFECTED AREA OF MY INTESTING BUT NOW I HAVE A ILEOSTOMY AND A BAG. I NEED SOME ADVICE AS IT ALWAYS LEAKS BECAUSE I HAVE A CREASE IN MY BELLY. ALSO MY NIRSE STATED TO ME THAT IT IS RETRACTED IN A LIL BECAUSE I HAD BRIDGES THAT WERE HOLDING IT UP AND THE BRIDGES SPLIT THREW IT WHEN IT FELL OUT SO NOW I HAVE A SPLIT ILEOSTOMY. IM SO SCARED I SIT AROUND AND CRY ALL DAY. IM AFRAID THAT IT MAY GO ALL THE WAY IN AND I WILL GET DEADLY SICK. THIS IS SUPPOSE TO BE A TEMP THING I AM DUE FOR REVERSAL IN 2 MONTHS IM JUST SO SCARED PLEASE GIVE ME ADVISE ON THIS ILEOSTOMY THAT RETRACTED IN SOME.
StarUK
Sep 20, 2011 9:13 pm
Char2011 tried to message you but you dont have a profile.... So my suggestion is this go back to your stoma nurse retracted stomas happen but it takes some time to find the right appliance. Its early days for you, your bound to feel tearful i know i did, imagined my life would be centred around Poo! you may well need to have a revision of your stoma, but i imagine more surgery isnt something you want to think about right now. There are some pretty wonderful people on this site and they all want to help you and just listen if you need to off load. So take a deep breath your going to get through this i promise Trish
jelly
Sep 20, 2011 10:54 pm
Hey CHAR2011, hey i know how you feel, when i got my ileostomy for the first time EVERYTHING went wrong. i would always leak, and then because i was leaking an incision opened up above my stome like 2 inches long and a few inched deep, i could see my sutures inside! i freaked the hell out. but now thats healed, but you know what i was doing wrong that made my bag leak all the time.. well first i wasnt cutting the hole big enough, make sure its cut so it fit nicely at the bottom. i am also cutting the hole off center because its so close to my belly button, and what i just realized is that i have a fiscular (however thats spelled) write where the stoma and skin meet, so i always make sure the wafer dosent cover it. you learn as you go along, trust me, i was freaking out for a long time, mine is reversable too, i can get it reversed now, but i choosing not to, i got used to it, and i can eat soooo much amazing foods! before i was gluten and lactose intolerant, for 8 years....not fun, i just had a giant bowl of pasta... so worth it! and! i just went snorkeling, with da bag! any questions though, feel free to ask. im no expert, but i have learned a few tricks here and thereand for BUDD002, no i quit before they could fire me, because ive been fired from many other jobs because my chrons acted up. i didnt tell them i had crohns or the bag, didnt feel like explaining, they just thought i had a hang over, being sick and throwing up in the restroom.... i wish thats what it was. yea only my close friends know about the bag, sometimes i mention it when i have to to someone, but rarely.
butterfly48
Sep 21, 2011 3:52 pm
Sorry this happened, but you do have to think of your future by being positive and figure out how to stop puking. Maybe you could eat a cracker when you feel it coming on or take anxiety pills from the doctor or herbs to calm you down. Passion flower or even kava may calm you down, and you can purchase at a health store. I personally get anxiety attacks at night or even during the day I feel like the walls are closing in on me. Never had this feeling before the ileoso I am forced to take doctors medications. Good Luck Buterfly48
tricia63
Sep 21, 2011 9:47 pm
Sorry to butt in but could anybody tell me if they have had this amount of problems.I had my surgery done a year ago, when I had the surgery for a colostomy everything went fine I was out of hospital within 1 week, after coming home for about a week I passed out was taken back to hospital, I had an infection in my stoma, I then had more surgery to drill 2 holes 1 either side of my stoma to release the infection, within 2 days of having this done I developed an abscess had to go back into surgery. I was on IV Antibiotics in hospital for another 7 weeks. Since I have been home I have been on antibiotics as my infection keeps re-appearing, I have a very large hernia also.If anybody could give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it.My family call me Lucky but you can call me Tricia.
supernan
Sep 21, 2011 10:05 pm
Hi Tricia, so sorry to hear of your problems, I know what it's like. I have had similar problems to you since I had my colostomy on 31/1/`11. I was also readmitted with a bad pelvic infection and had to have another op and then a rectal drain. Honestly the things some of us have to go through eh!! I now have a large hernia, the size of half a melon, but I have found life a lot easier since I have had a hernia belt. Do you still see your stoma nurse as she can arrange this. Also I don't know about you but it means I can't see to change bags so have to use a mirror. The other thing I have found is that since I had a bladder fistula removed at the same time I am a lot more prone to stress incontinence presumably as the hernia is pressing on something. So I do find getting showered and dressed in the morning takes a LOT longer now, as by the time I am padded up underneath for leakages and rectal discharges, then my corset, then I wear a home made sling to help support it a bit as I have a lot of scars from previous surgeries and then I wear specially designed underwear that I make myself with a pouch for the bag, otherwise it rubs my groin and makes it bleed. I hope that this has given you some ideas but can I ask how your diet is, as it sounds as if you are run down aswell. I know with mine, I am on iron as I am so restricted and cannot tolerate much yet, but I do know some people can eat anything. I hope you start to feel better soon. I did as soon as I joined this site. Jenny
supernan
Sep 21, 2011 10:05 pm
Sorry, just realised I talk too much!! Jenny
tricia63
Sep 21, 2011 10:45 pm
Hi Jenny, it is so nice to speak to somebody who understands what I'm going through. I am very lucky to be able to eat pretty much what I want, my hernia is the size of a football so restricts me from doing any exercise. I have tried the support belts the knickers but none of them seem to work for me. Yes I am still with my stoma nurse, she is excellent very helpfull.My GP thinks I may have a bladder fistula aswell as the perianal fistula as I keep wetting myself I know nothing about it ubtil its to late, did this happen when you had yours?.Thanks for your advice I will deff try the home made sling to hold it up ha ha.Tricia x
supernan
Sep 21, 2011 11:28 pm
Hi Tricia, also hope that anybody else out there might be able to help with your problem. I can understand that you must feel painful and uncomfortable as I certainly would without my belt (corset). I always tell my orthotist (the lady who measures and fits them) that it is a relief to put it on in the morning, but boy, is it a relief to take it off again at night. How do you manage for clothes, as I am now in maternity wear!! Speak soon. Jenny
tricia63
Sep 22, 2011 7:46 am
Hi Jenny, I have my next appointment with the surgeon on 11/10 so hopefully I will get a date for my repair surgery. I wear just baggy tops elasticated leggins most of the time but I never feel smart when I go to work.
supernan
Sep 22, 2011 9:06 am
Jelly, just realised I took over your page, so sorry. I have colostomy so don't know too much about the ileo's but you seem to have the right attitude so I'm sure you will get there in the end.
jelly
Sep 22, 2011 12:06 pm
hey supernan, no worries, im glad my blog opened up other conversations :)