two piece bags

Replies
Views
Sophie96
Oct 18, 2012 10:59 am
I currently use a one piece bag but am interested in trying different types to see what works best for me. I have read into two piece bags but dont completely understand and was wondering if someone with one would be able to give me some advice? Do you have to change the pouch and the flange every time or does the flange stay stuck on and you just change the pouch? If so how long can you keep the flange on for? thanks for the help x

Care 4 All
Oct 18, 2012 2:27 pm
Depending on the quality of the flange, the average use is 1 flange per 3 bags. So the flange can stay put during the use of about 3 bags. However some use more, some use less. Best to experiment yourself.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

toodie
Oct 18, 2012 4:17 pm
regardless of one or two piece system, I have a four day wear rate. Any more, I get itchy and susceptible to leaks. I like the two piece system because I can see what is going on better. Whether I want to investigate the stoma or change a bag out within my four day wear. I like to change the bag after eating FISH! I recently switched from Hollister to Coloplast (see my video for product details http://youtu.be/XekikZAJr1I ). Hollister bags needed to be switched every two days as they degenerated at the emptying end and the cloth started to look ugly. I find the Coloplast bags hold up for the four day wear time I adhear to. FYI -The system I am using is more expensive as they are EXTENDED WEAR. Therefore my government plan gives me less bags/flanges per month. But it all balances out.
firedog41
Oct 18, 2012 8:47 pm
I have a colostomy and started out using the coloplast 1 piece drainable, my insurance would cover 20 of these per month but I was not too fond of them, I tried different types and finally settled with the two piece Hollister 15203 flange with the 18373 disposable pouch, I have had no problems with this setup except when I sweat but the same happened with the 1 piece coloplast. The setup I have now allows me to recive 60 pouches and 20 flanges per month and the flange usally stays on for 5 days, I have gotten 7 days out of 1 flange and it was still stuck pretty well when I changed it, I found that if my stool is tight I can also empty the pouch and reuse as I am in construction and we use porta pottys and the idea is to spend as little time in one as you have to and of course everyone seeing you walking out carrying a bag to the dumpster like you just walked your dog. I can shower with this setup and have even went swimming with it and it stays stuck, it is made of a soft cloth material which allows it to bend with you unlike the coloplast which had a hard flange. You can change the pouch twice a day and still have enough pouches by the time the new supply arrives, these are also vented so you dont have to burp them and the charcoal filter elliminates odor. Hope this helps. Ed
ostomybagBomber
Oct 19, 2012 3:27 am
Convatec 2 piece in the 32mm flange and size small bags allow for low rise jeans and easy hiding!!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
weewee
Oct 21, 2012 10:35 pm
i have the hollister 2 piece i like it do to its was easier for me to apply it with the hair dryer and not melt the bag i dont get to last that long with my set up do to the stoma was placed in a deap scar so i change everyday sometime twice a day but for me to help out more the nurse put me in the 4 inch waffer so it would grab more skin to seal this helped me out alittle i dont have a nice little stoma like most doand its not prefectly round like most either i have always like the 2 peice for me but as you will hear call all the companies get thier free samples and try then all try the wax rings try using the hair dryer to heat the waffer that worked great for me well good luck with you new adventure and remember that you can come to this site and bitch compain or even throw a fit there is always someone that will listen to you here
Past Member
Oct 22, 2012 7:33 pm
I am using the Hollister two piece 3703 fling an the 3803 bag I empty an reuse my bags an they last for two to three weeks.The fling I change once every two weeks.I am new to this adventure myself an mine was due to getting stabbed twice.I wasn't even damaged there but the doctor took out my colon just because I had a history of ulceractive colitis,so he said he took it out since he had me open.Without my permission.
funnygurl
Oct 23, 2012 1:24 am
i get about 5 days out of a flange. Less in hot humid summer weather. I use coloplast sensura and love it. There is a pouch and flange for everyone and you just need to get samoles and find the one that works for you.
Past Member
Oct 23, 2012 5:36 pm
How an who do I contact to get the free samples to try these other types of supplies?
funnygurl
Oct 23, 2012 6:42 pm
google names of ostomy suppliers e.g.:on-lhttp://www.convateccorporate.com/contact/ine http://www.us.coloplast.com/about/contactus/http://www.hollister.com/us/contact/and call their customer service numbers.
Past Member
Oct 26, 2012 2:27 am
ok thanks
Simiberry
Oct 29, 2012 2:18 am
I call edgepark for my supplies, and the reps there always hook me up with a free sample kit of almost any ostomy supply I could ever want. Personally, between convatec, coloplast, and hollister, I prefer coloplast's Sensura one piece drainable bags. They last, are durable, etc. The convatec 2 piece was fine with the post-op one-touch adapters, but for some reason it didn't seem to have good odor control and I could smell when my stoma had decided to produce a lot. I treat my hollister one piece drainable bags as in-case-of-emergency, because I have a few samples but am unimpressed. Hollister works, but Coloplast just seems to suit me more, and is heavier duty. My max wear time for any of the above, even if it's extended wear or duraplast, is 4 days. I once did 5, but I was itchy from the adhesive by that time. I have also found that barrier rings are best. The paste contains alcohol which burns my skin, and it dissolves fast so makes the probability of a leak higher.
Simiberry
Oct 29, 2012 2:18 am
With the 2-piece, I also found it difficult to change the bag. It may have been the fault of the adapter, but in the end, I find the 1-piece more efficient.
njman
Oct 29, 2012 8:19 pm
surefit convatec 2 piece only way to go
Mollie
Oct 30, 2012 3:19 am
I agree with njman. I have used them for almost 20 years. I can get 12 - 14 days on a flange, changing bags every 4 or 5 days. I am fortunate with no skin issues to deal with.
Past Member
Nov 02, 2012 1:11 pm
Whats the number to edgepark,Simiberry?
Simiberry
Nov 03, 2012 4:07 am
Here's their contact info: https://www.edgepark.com/contactus/
Past Member
Nov 06, 2012 3:35 am
ok thanks.
dixied10
Nov 18, 2012 12:44 am
Ive had my colostamy since Apr 2012 and have LOTS of problems with leaks until I tried Convetec 2-pc. Natura. I can go 4-5 days on 1 flange and change the bag every 2 days. Coloplast hurt me a few leaks; Hollister leaked within the day. I like the convenience of the 2-pc so I can change bags more often w/o changing everything.