Feeling like crap

Replies
Views
DH
Feb 15, 2013 8:20 pm
It's been a little over a year and a half since my colostomy and I just experienced my second public leaker . My pouch was empty when I got to wallmart to do some grocery shopping,But I had just got done eating a half a box of Godiva chocolates that I got from my husband on Valentines day.There I am filling my cart with groceries and I suddenly felt my pouch rapidly filling with poo not realizing that my pouch was starting to leak. I bumped into a friend of mine who usually gives me a big hug when she sees me,but for some reason she just said hello and ran off in a hurry.I thought maybe she was just having a bad day. After i was done filling my cart I thought I felt someting warm and wet on my thigh. OH Sh!t What do I do? leave my cart of groceries and go home? Or do I go to the line and pay for my goceries and hope knowone can smell poo. I decided to go ahead and pay for my groceries. I didn't feel like making a second trip to the store later. Luckily there was only one person behind me and knowone in front of me.I got home and sure enough I had leaked and it was running down my leg. Must of been the chocolates I ate.I cursed and cussed all the way home feeling embarrised and angry as all hell about it. Donna

Primeboy
Feb 16, 2013 2:21 am
I doubt the chocolates are to blame, Donna. In my experience, food in itself does not break the seal, something else does. Did you let too many days pass between changes? Did you allow the bag to become more than a third filled at anytime? Did you adjust your car's seatbelt properly? The best way to reduce blowouts is to understand and make adjustments for the real causes. Anyway, all of us know the emotional trauma behind your experience. Thank you for reminding us that we are not alone in this situation. PB.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Feb 16, 2013 6:27 am
Hello DH. Thanks for your post. I think that most of us have been there at some time. I'm with PB in thinking that it's probably not what you ate. Over a period of time I have had seals break completely for no apparent reason and some that are stuck so well I have a job to get them off even with the remover. Sometimes I think that the products are simply not as consistent as we might expect. 'Fortunately' for me, I have a hernia that requires pressure immediately around the stoma - so for the most part my device holds the plugs in and the seal secure even if it's not sticking properly.(I don't wear bags now I'm irrigating) However, even that is not foolproofas I've had plugs pushed out and one or two have actually broken off their mooringswhich was a bit concerning! Anyway, I hope you can look back on your traumatic incident with acceptance and perhaps come to see that the old cliche has some pertinence in these situations What doesn't kill you - makes you stronger Best wishesBill
Mrs.A
Feb 16, 2013 10:38 pm
Hi DH, Oh how I can relate. Chocolate goes thru me quickly too. I have come to realize that I can only eat no more that three pieces a day and not to eat them again the next. It probably is not the cause of the leak but it sure does make things loose for me anyway. I would hope someone I consider a friend to said something to me in the nicest possible way. But if it was only someone who I associate with (like people at the job) then I guess they wouldn't know what to do. If possible try to keep some emergency supplies with you for a quick change. I have gone to a cashier and told them that I have had an emergency and not to put my things back on the shelf, went into the restroom cleaned up and checked out. I do keep extra clothing in my car for just that reason. But an extra bag and wipes and things in my purse.
junopete
Feb 17, 2013 7:13 am
Are you kidding me. You don't carry a kit for just that problem on you at all times?Ladies have purses. Men have pockets. I carry a flange,bag and a couple of small moistened wipes in my back pocket. Combined they are half as think as a wallet. In my car I have a full meal deal, a bigger kit with soapy water in plastic bottles, flanges, wafers, bags a couple of pair of spare underwear.I can't imagine any one with an ostomy not having this stuff all the time on their person.As far as the cart full of items. Simply leave it and make a bee line for your car.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Sophie96
Feb 24, 2013 10:08 am
HI i think its inevitable that its going to happen to all of us at some point. The first time it happened to me was pretty bad but i just left the trolley and went to the bathroom to sort myself out and then quickly paid for my stuff and left. Luckily i had a big long coat on so you coudnt see the wet patch on my trousers!
J.J.
Mar 02, 2013 3:54 pm
=( it happens to all of us..and no matter how prepared we are..there are those rare times when we don't always have everything with us.. but it still well sucks!... when it happens..
Patrick20
Apr 26, 2013 1:48 pm
Hi! I've had a shocker! One time me and some friends were going camping up north for a couple of nights and the truck broke down not far out of town, so we arrange another vehicle to get us to the spot. Four hours drive later and half way through the night (having a few to many drinks) I realised my bag was leaking and completely buggered! I just thought it was a slight inconvenience and that I would change it in the bushes only to realise I had left the smaller one of my bags with my supplies in it 4 hours south in the broken down truck! I was already not on form from the drink so took my problem to my two closest friends and considering the bag was useless we called an ambulance! I woke In the morning thinking where the hell am I and the events of the night came back to me! To make matters worse i was at a hospital even further north! I rang my friend and he's said they were nearly home because they thought I'd gone to the hospital in our area! Lucky for me they turned around and came all the way up to get me! Worst incident I've had so far!
Randy
May 07, 2013 9:15 am
Hey, don't worry, we all go through it. When it happens to me, I use the drive home to clean up to reflect on how lucky I am to be alive. Without the surgery that gave me the ostomy, I would have been dead two years ago. After I clean up, sometimes I'll play hooky to remind myself how lucky I am. When you have an accident, use the rest of the day to do something nice for yourself!