Ostomy Memories Again

Replies
Views
HenryM
Jun 10, 2020 8:53 am
Working in an office means sharing a bathroom. Our office was spread out over multiple floors. The bathrooms were out on the stairwell, half a flight up or down, depending upon whether one was looking for MEN or WOMEN. One day I was in a stall. A guy came in, peed, washed up, and left. As he left, another fellow entered, and they exchanged greetings. I therefore knew who the man was that then entered the stall next to me. Then I heard a crinkling. I recognized it, of course. It was the unmistakable, distinctive, unique sound made by the handling of an ostomy pouch, so noisy, in fact, that it sounded like one of those cheap, clear ones they use in hospitals. I finished and, as I was washing my hands, he exited his stall. We exchanged reserved greetings. I now knew his secret, but he didn’t know mine. One day, as fate would have it, I would inherit his job. Unbeknownst to him, we shared something else as well.

w30bob
Jun 10, 2020 1:46 pm
Hi Henry,

Yeah, I think there are many folks out there with "issues" that hide them well. I would think most of the people I deal with have no idea that I have a bag, although I have told some and we all know how quickly good news travels! I also think some at work know my secret because the bathroom stall walls don't extend all the way to the floor.......so guys coming in seeing someone in a stall kneeling in front of the toilet must either think I'm puking......or emptying my bag. I don't hide the fact that I have one......I'm not the shy type and really don't give a shit what people think. But I think in general many folks are very good at hiding any abnormalities they might have. You're story is funny because you learn the darndest things in the community bathrooms!!

regards,
bob
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Pirrip
Jun 10, 2020 6:46 pm
Wear it with pride dude!
lovely
Jun 11, 2020 1:13 am
I like your story HenryM. A lot of people know I have one. I really don't care who knows they can accept it or not.
lisamcgowen1
Dec 12, 2021 4:17 am
Hi Henry!
I really enjoyed your bathroom story about hearing the unmistakable, distinctive, unique sound made by the handling of an ostomy pouch...that made me chuckle...but its so true. I remember the day I left the hospital after I had my colon removed. I was just fine while in the hospital, but driving away, I just started crying because I felt so exposed...and I felt I was leaving my safety net behind.. (the hospital) NOW..I dont go around shouting from the hilltops that I have an ostomy...but I do not mind too much if people know or find out.
Thank you for sharing. Made me smile ????

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play