First bath!

Replies
Views
Sophie96
Jun 24, 2013 7:00 pm
Today is the first time I have had a bath since getting my ileostomy last june! Ive had many other problems becasue of my messed up bowels which meant that I had other tubes and things coming out of me preventing me from showering or bathing. However having those things sorted out now, I was finally able to have a proper wash, instead of one out of the sink!

Im not a shower person at all, i would rather have a bath any day and i sure as hell wasnt gonna let a stupid bag sstuck to my stomach change that! I was quite nervous at first that it would become unstuck and leak everywhere (thats not what i wanted to bathe in!) but i knew i had to just go for it.

I checked to make sure he was all stuck on nice to begin with and thought i coud change it when i got out if neccesary. However, he was not stuck on nicely at all so had to change him before getting in!

But its now a few hours later and ive not had any trouble with him at all! The only thing i can see wrong is that the edge is starting to come off but not so much so that its going to leak so i am very pleased!!

Baths are going to be a regular thing once more!!

Mrs.A
Jun 24, 2013 8:14 pm
Yay, good for you Soapie! It is wonderful that you can now take a bath as you see fit. Like you said, beats the sink! Very happy you just went for it.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

britathrt60
Jun 25, 2013 5:20 am
I have an ileostomy and only take baths....not fond of showering either. Before my bath I lift up my pouch and tape it with waterproof tape to my skin just below boobs, and fill bath just to where flange starts....keeps flange dry, no curling or irritation. Nothing like a nice bath with a glass of wine and a candle...happy bathing Sophie....
nbaker
Jun 26, 2013 9:38 pm
Isn't that first bath the greatest. I only went four months after my colostomy surgery and boy did it feel good. You might want to try Sure Seal Rings, they go over your baseplate and are waterproof. They are the same as the stuff they put over your IV site in the hospital kind of like a second skin. They also contain any leaks from under the baseplate. I use them for swimming. I have heard other people just cover the baseplate with waterproof tape.
beautifullyblessed
Jun 27, 2013 4:34 am
ooh I thank God for your blog Soapie, I just have been taken showers since I've gotten Toni and I miss my relaxzation time with my music. It's been a year and I haven't tried to take a bath yet, I want to thank you all for the positive tips and motivation it was really helpful and encouraging much blessings to u all. BATH TUB HERE I COME....

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Sophie96
Jun 27, 2013 12:15 pm
I do have some seals to go around the edge but i thought i would try it without first to see what happens, trial and error really like everything has been since getting him!Beautifullyblessed, im glad that i could have helped and enjoy your bath when you have it!
patri
Jun 27, 2013 1:16 pm
bathing...yes! oh the warm water covering completely is such a comfortable rush! i put a pool in my back yard for my kids, a blow up one since they are small and we run warm water from the sink and I am able to get in and hang out. oh the joys of moving about splashing and feeling silky movement and companionship and fun, enjoying some outdoor beauty in this world. so glad you are able to take a bath again....much physical ease and pleasure to you in this world. we are alive, we are allowed to be happy and thrive!
britathrt60
Jun 29, 2013 12:42 pm
Amen to that Patri! We all have to Live, Love and Laugh regardless....
Past Member
Jul 20, 2013 4:42 pm
good girl