ostomy questions

Replies
Views
tinker424
Jun 27, 2013 6:08 pm
Hi

I am 225 lb 51 year old female with an ostomey my doctor will not do the surgery unless i loose 25 lbs. did anyone else have to lose weight before they got the reveral. my doctor is dead set against it because of complications and he said if i lose the weight he can do it laproscopicaly

its going on a year in sept. and because of ny age so hard to lose weight

any advise

thanks in advance Carolyn

Slow momma
Jun 27, 2013 8:14 pm
I weighed more than that when I had my surgery 3 months ago. It was dangerous but had to have it done due to colon cancer. My iliostomy is non reversible. I wish you all the best for your up coming surgery. Maybe another doctor at a big hospital would help. I lost 100 pounds with my surgery and being in the hospital so long.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

latina63
Jun 28, 2013 5:37 pm
What? That is crazy, my doctor never even looked at my weight as a basis to do surgery, of course he advised on weight gain to prevent hernias coming back. I had my reversal 8 mons ago with no issues, I'd get a second opinion for sure, I am 220 lbs now but I weighed more before surgery, about 230. I am 50 so I know all about how hard it is to lose weight. The thing I miss about my bag is being able not to GAIN weight! Lol
tinker424
Jun 28, 2013 8:33 pm
thank you so much for this i will def get a 2nd opinion. was it a hard surgery because my first one was an emergency one and i had no time to think now all i been doing is thinking thanks Carolyn
latina63
Jun 29, 2013 4:37 am
Well, the reversal is always supposed to be easier as they normally don't open you back up but with me I developed 3 hernias during my 11 month course with the ileostomy. They had to open me back up and he checked my liver out while he was in there so in all honesty mine was very painful. Yours probably won't be that bad so don't my story scare you.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
TPDGal
Jun 30, 2013 7:31 am
I'm not facing the possibility of a reversal - I've had my ileostomy for almost 40 years. I am, however, facing problems with hernia(s). The first one was found when it caused a blockage. AT the hospital they were able to manually push it back in; however, since then I have continued to have problems, i.e., partial blockages that cause my appliance to give way. I can only eat a few fresh fruits and vegetables now, and also any other high fiber foods. I am uncomfortable and scared at times to even go to work for fear of a problem arising from something I inadvertently ate. I saw a surgeon who described what the surgery would have to be - said they'd have to take muscle from my sides because I have none in my stomach. He wanted me to try a hernia belt and to lose some weight. I'm 5-3, 185 lb. The company he sent me to for the hernia belt only measured around my waist. When the belt came in they guessed at how big to cut and sew a hole for the ostomy. The belt goes to high on my waist and too low below my stomach and causes irritation to my legs and waist. It is really made for a taller, more long-waisted person. I am getting desperate to the point of depression and don't know where to turn.
Slow momma
Jun 30, 2013 12:02 pm
Tpdgal...I'm sorry to hear of all your problems...40 years is a long time to have your ileostomy. I've just had mine 3 months. I'm afraid to go out much as that seems to be when my bag wants to leak. I've soak my clothes, got it all over the seat of the car, the door, the floor..it's not good...do the doctors know what causes the hernias? Is it from lifting to much? When I was in the hospital having my surgeries they gave me a list of stuff not to eat. Sure changes your life when you can't enjoy the foods you like anymore. So much adjusting to do. I know this bag is a part of me now and I have to deal with it...some days are real bad that way yet. Still got learning to do. I love the helpful information on this site. It's great to talk to others with same issues and can offer support and helpful ideas. I have to find a way to harden the constant liquid in my bag as I'm loosing to much weigh from it. It just flys through my system. My doctors have tried at least 10 things and nothing is helping....
latina63
Jul 01, 2013 4:00 am
TPDgal- Them dumb belts are aggravating! As far as hernias go, well, my gastro dr told me that some people just have a genetic problem with weak muscles and that is what causes us to get hernias. I've had a persistent one on my naval for several years. It has been repaired 2 times. Of course I lifted too much stuff (as us women do)during my 11 months with my ileo and I had 3 when I had my reversal. They repaired them but one has come back right above my belly button. It bothers me somewhat and it looks horrible (protudes but I am waiting on surgery cause it has only been 8 months and honestly I just don't want to go thru the pain again. I lost 40lbs during my whole course of cancer/surgeries and ileo, but I have put about 15 back on and now struggling to lose! Ugh
gottadime
Jul 01, 2013 3:31 am
I agree with getting a second opinion, and although it'll cost time and money you will know what you otherwise would never know---a second opinion!My recommendations for losing weight are: Graze on food throughout the day instead of eating three square meals. Avoid high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, monosodium glutamate, sodium benzoate, and all the other useless chemicals in food. Don't skip breakfast (I put breakfast in quotes because it's normally a meal and my first idea was about grazing versus meals). A bagel or oatmeal will suffice if you graze since breakfast can take place all morning long. Become a smoothieholic. (See my blog SMOOTH SMOOTHIES for more info). Eat fat burning foods: grapefruit, watermelon, berries, cucumber, hot peppers, celery, Greek yogurt, fish, coffee, water, green tea, pineapple, tomato, cabbage...the last three use more calories for digestion than the original calorie content!Swim or run if you can, otherwise walk briskly for 30 minutes everyday. I'm no food genius but after getting a colostomy (one year ago this month) I decided to eat as healthy as possible. Good websites for this include: healthy-holistic-living.com, realfarmacy.com,
itchy22
Aug 20, 2013 5:14 am
Your doctor is nuts. When I had my surgery I was 230lbs.When I came out of the hospital 5 wks later I was 190. Find another doctor.