One of Those Days

Replies
Views
Sven
Jun 30, 2013 6:11 pm
Some days I feel too young to have a bag--especially one I know I can't ever get rid of. I thought I could get a reversal, but innumerable polyps throughout my colon, rectum, and anal canal kept the doctors from doing it. Almost three weeks out of surgery and I feel okay most of the time. I still can't run and really shouldn't work, but I have to have some for of money. So in a week I'm going back to one of my jobs in a small tea shop.

I wasn't supposed to be moving right after surgery, but the complex dragged their feet with my paperwork. I had to stay a week at my dad's house before moving in with my new roomie--who I creep out sometimes, so at least I can laugh at that. So in the same two weeks, I had major surgery and was moved from my dad's house--this is also the first time I've ever moved out--into an apartment in the projects. At least my roomie is okay with Steve's needs. Oh, right. I named my stoma. Helps keep the mood light when I have to deal with him... It.... Something.

I guess the thing that bothers me is that this isn't the first major medical catastrophe in my life. My mother had Gardner's and got colon cancer when I was nine. She died a few weeks after my eleventh birthday. She also had a heart condition and polycystic kidneys. As it turns out, I have all three. Until I was seventeen, I only thought I had the heart condition. At school one morning, I went into super ventricular tachycardia and my brain went without oxygen for over six minutes. I woke up a week later in the hospital wondering what had happened. I fell out of the bed sometime during that week I can't remember and hit my head on the floor. The doctors took me in for a CT Scan and saw the osteomas on my skull and jaw. A nurse recognized them as a symptom of Gardners and I was tested. The test came back positive. On a hunch, my dad requested I get my kidneys looked at. They were covered in large cysts.

Gardners is hereditary. My mother passed it down to me, and possibly my two siblings. In a way, I'm glad I have ovarian cysts, as well, since that lowers your ability to reproduce. Maybe, if they get bad enough, a doctor will give me a hysterectomy, too. I don't want my kids to go through what I have. I don't want kids. I know myself well enough that if they aren't of my own blood, I won't love them as deeply as if I carried them myself. I wouldn't care for them right.

.....Looking up at this choppily written post, I feel like it's more of a "Why me?" thing than I intended it to be. Oh well. I'll talk more later. Havea nice day.

Sven

gottadime
Jul 01, 2013 4:48 am
You have been thru a lot! I don't blame you for thinking you're too young for a bag---I'm 2.5 times older that you and feel the same way. I feel bad that you have Steve 8^) but your experiences have made you a stronger person, which comes out in your writing.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Primeboy
Jul 01, 2013 4:57 am
Sven, please stay in touch with us. You have been though a lot in a short period and I know there are lots of people here who can get you through the Why Me Thing but who will also expect some support from you because of all you have to deal with. Looking for the more later. Be well. PB
weewee
Jul 02, 2013 11:56 am
don't worry this is a good support everyone need a place to vent some can go over board with it and then lead them self into a deep depression and then that's all they whine about and don't realize that they are very very depressed and its harder to get out of it cause they didn't talk to someone before to get a little support sometimes a little friendly ear is all you need and sometimes a good fishing trip away from what the problem is so you can relax
Ewesful
Oct 02, 2013 3:39 am
Gardner's Syndrome is bad news but you can get through or around it -- do you have FAP as well - polycystic is another nasty but that again can be challenged eith all the new tech stuff- I so feel for you but you need to find some positive thing each and write it down -- you will be able to hang tough and make sure no matter what you do one thing each day you like - even to look at the stars and name some constelations -- have a meal with a friend -- call someone and really chat up a storm - read a really interesting book -- try a new game - whatever but don't let the body rule you - YOU are bigger than it----

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play