New to Group

Replies
Views
kakie56
Nov 18, 2014 4:45 pm
Hi my name is Kakie

I am a fairly recent ostomy patient I had emergency surgery Apr 4/14 to safe my life .I will be honest I am having a very hard time adjusting to as i call it thing ,sorry i can not find it in my heart to give this thing a name when it causes me so much grief .I don't have a problem looking after it as i have looked after worse then this over my years as i cared for terminally ill patients as well as chronic patients which in the end landed me here in a way :( ,I have not freaked out when i find this thing bleeding on a regluar basis several times a week , I have not freaked out when finding small white lumps on the under side of this thing . What bothers me is the prolapse/ how ashamed of myself the way i look now when i do go out in public (this thing sits high up on my abdomen and looks and i don't mean to insult anyone please don't think that but this looks like a male part that is extremely happy to see a beautiful woman

:( .I was wearing the new SenSura Mio products and have gone thru each type and as of today I have to give the last type up :( .This prolapse ranges from 4 to 5 inches long and now it has decided to spread in width as well again this time from the middle up to the tip and can sit at 6 in wide if i stand up and do things , like walk . I love to walk and walk 4 miles a day at least was till this week when winter hit and as we live on a back road that turns to an ice skating rink not sure how much i will get in now :( but to do that walk or ride my stationary bike i need to wear a girdle well i found out with this new appliance that is going to be hard because once you put anything over it to hold this ta majorhing in it fills with air and as my output has been extremely high since Sat and it is not the runny type it is thick and pasty and i have seen it in major blow out once when i first went to the medical floor after my surgery , it took 2 1/2 hrs to clean me up

I have tried to find a group to go to so I could work thru my difficulities with this thing but there is no group in our local area ,so i was told to find a group on line maybe but i am better at talking to some one in person face to face , so i guess for me it is to learn how to deal with this on my own but it is hard .I have had some say i am depressed , I am not , I am angry with this thing , it may have savedmy life but it took many things away from me ,I am angry at myself as well for ending up this way , i am frustrated with not being able to do the things i used to do ,I don't like not being able to go out and feel ashamed of how i look .I am not a beautiful woman nor am i even pretty but i always took care in the way i presented myself and that has been taken away from me as well with this thing . I just need to talk verbally to work thru this and that is not going to happen and truthfully I hate to write

till later

kakie

pammer
Nov 25, 2014 12:56 am
Hi Katie, I had my surgery last February. I found this site very helpful. I havnt been on in a while but when I went in today the first thing I saw was your post and knew I had to reply. I to suffered from depression real bad. I stopped coming here because I didn't want to be a downer to people. I have also had numerous problems with my stoma the latest is a hernia. But they people here really do care and have great advice. I will start coming back here and I hope you stay connected. Your not alone. P.S. I didn't name my stoma either. Take care. Pammer
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

susetteo
Nov 25, 2014 6:38 pm
I know how you feel! I had an acute attack of diverticulitis that perforated my bowel on Sept 8th, 2014. I ended up with 2 surgeries for that and was sent home with a jp drain tube. I continuously complained about the tube hurting but the doctors insisted that I needed to keep it in for the 2 months until the next surgery. At one point the doctor even made a comment about how that was just how I was. When I went in for the next surgery, the only thing we had talked about was the possibility of a colostomy bag in case the surgery to resection the colon didn't work. What they did was give me an ileostomy because the tube that I had spent the past 2 months complaining bout had punctured my small intestine and that had to be re-sectioned as well. I went home a week later with an ileostomy bag and no real knowledge of it. The nursing staff and wound care nurses are amazing and have done everything they can for me. My doctor doesn't even answer questions. I have found that I empty this thing roughly 15 times a day. It goes from a thick cat poop yellow to a thin toxic waste green color. they gave me meds to thicken it but they don't always work. My skin is raw underneath the adhesive and feels bruised. I had 29 staples from my groin to just below my breastbone and the incision weeps constantly. Even empty, I feel like the bag is heavy. I have ongoing nausea and have lost about 20 lbs in the past 21 days. The picture you painted of the bag under clothing seems correct, someone else said it looks like a giant tumor. Yep, I agree. The nursing staff kept saying that a lot of people have them and that people don't know and can't see it. Bull! It is so damn obvious!! I still haven't been able to go back to work. I am so light headed and dizzy all the time. I need to go back to work. I was able to get through a shower standing the other day, but that is where it ended. Have to nap before I am able to dry off, get dressed, and comb my hair. In order to get the shower completed, it required getting up, eating, napping, eating again, napping one more time and then attempting. Dairy seems to agree with me along with pasta so I eat a lot of yogurt, pasta, American and cheddar cheeses and ice cream. 7up helps with the nausea. I will not pretend that I am ok with this or that I ever will be. The doctor says I have 2 months till he can reverse it. I don't know how I am ever going to be strong enough.
Past Member
Nov 26, 2014 6:32 pm
Hi KatieMy name is Bev, I too had the same problems as you when i first got my stoma in December 2013, it has only been 11 months but i have started to come to terms with it. (I have to as I have it for the rest of my life) It saved my life so I look at it as a blessing rather than something to be ashamed of.I too have problems with loose stools and a hernia, my hernia comes up and goes down, changes shape. I have found it is worse when my stools are really loose and regular. My stoma nurse really helped. she advised that the worst foods for making you loose is all veg that grows above ground. Potatoes, suede, carrots, parsnips, turnips don't seem to cause too much problems. Also all fiber is a no no, stick to white bread and glutton free products can help as they are low in fiber. Marshmallows are good but you need to watch for the sugar, my local supermarket do a no added sugar marshmallow which are ideal. Jelly babies are really good (but not the cheap ones) but again you need to watch the sugar.I also have problems with bleeding from my stoma, I was advised that it is normal and try not to worry unless the bleeding gets excessive then it may be a good idea to get it checked out. Don't try to be too hard on yourself, being upset or depressed and having a hard time coming to terms with your situation is a natural defense mechanism. With time it will get easier but it will take time. Give yourself a treat every so often, a trip to a salon, a trip shopping. (Just remember to have your change bag with you. Also always remember that Meet An Ostomate is always just a few keys away and even if nobody answers sometimes it's just good to get things off your chest.Good Luck and keep me informed.all the best Bev.
sherbear
Dec 27, 2014 6:16 pm
rice, applesauce,banannas, marshmellows, peanut butter...stay away from mushrooms, peanuts...

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
kakie56
Dec 27, 2014 8:12 pm
I want to say i am sorry to those i have not answered yet , i am desperately trying to get some energy up to do things , seems that my energy on top of everything else that seems to be happening lately has decided to up and go (I am worse then when i came home ) so i am having to slowly pick thru emails to answer , but i am reading and when the energy gets up I will answer .All suggestions are much appreciated though Hugs kakie
Zywie
Dec 30, 2014 1:07 am
It's okay, kakie. I thought he'd given it to you already. As for being tired. I still have not gotten all my energy back. Some days are worse than others. Don't worry. I'll try this here if you see it. Perhaps the forum gods won't bad me. It's zywie at hotmail. com Take it easy and don't worry about responding tho. That's the very least of your problems. Hugs