Tips for Managing Stoma Leakage During Bag Changes

Replies
Views
Past Member
Jul 08, 2024 3:10 am

Any tips on stopping leakage from a stoma during bag and barrier replacement? Three weeks in, today the thing wouldn't stop delivering goodies during my second attempt at bag and skin barrier change. Finally got it, as clean as I need to have things done (beyond hospital standards), but it was a hassle.

Beachboy
Jul 08, 2024 5:30 am

Some ostomates eat marshmallows before wafer changes. It seems to slow output down.

Start a food diary. You eat this... Notice how your ileostomy reacts, "X" minutes/hours later.

It will take a couple of months for your system to adapt to your ileostomy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Jul 08, 2024 10:23 am

I don't really have an issue with it, but having everything ready to go would be my first priority if I had an active stoma like some do.

eefyjig
Jul 08, 2024 10:59 am

Wake up, do not pass go, change the bag immediately before bowels really begin their day. I rarely have an issue.

w30bob
Jul 08, 2024 1:42 pm

Hey Sparkster,

Your bowels slow down when you sleep, so like Effy said, first thing in the morning is usually your best time. That being said, everyone is different, so if that isn't when your output is the least, change your barrier when it is. Depending on the type of ostomy you have, you should be able to develop a pattern or rhythm, just like when you pooped like a human. Of course, what you eat and when is the key, so keep track of what you eat and when you have output, and eventually, you'll put two and two together and have a foolproof way to have no output when you change. Otherwise, you're playing craps (pun intended) every time you try to change your stuff.

;O)

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
infinitycastle52777
Jul 08, 2024 7:57 pm

Choose your least active time of day. Also, don't eat for a couple of hours prior to a bag change. Expect some "goodies" because your stoma can't hold its poo. Keep a paper towel handy to wipe off the output as you go with the change.

TerryLT
Jul 08, 2024 9:02 pm

As Bob said, everyone is different, so finding out your own rhythm is key. I have an ileostomy, and mine can be quite active first thing in the morning. I time my pouch change to when my stoma is less active. It usually takes around 4 to 6 hours for food intake to make its way through. As others have said, there are things you can do to slow it down or delay it. Peanut butter and bananas work well (together or alone!).

Terry

Past Member
Jul 08, 2024 9:03 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Thank you for the advice. I am trying to be more patient with this change. Routine is definitely key. Live well 🙏🏼

Kas
Jul 08, 2024 10:09 pm
Reply to Anonymous

I eat four regular-sized marshmallows about five minutes before I change, and that buys me 15-20 minutes to do my changing.

🇦🇺 Jo
Jul 09, 2024 11:05 am

It's early days, so give it a couple of months and you will get the knack of when is the best time to change.

First thing in the morning is best for me, after emptying I rarely get output for at least a few hours (I don't eat late at night). I can change the whole shebang in under 5 minutes (but I've had an ileo for nearly 16 years so it's second nature now).

I never understood eating right before changing; it wouldn't work for me, it would just "activate" it, I reckon!