2nd Hernia Repair Needed

Replies
Views
NJ1215
Jan 02, 2015 6:02 am
I had an ostomy reversal about one year ago and than I turned around an had an hernia repair with a mesh. My situation is that the hernia reappeared once more and has now come through the mash. I went to see a new surgeon and he told me that he "did not want to take care of someone's else mess". Such a terrible thing for a surgeon to say to a patient. He had no compassion. My original surgeon does not want to do the repair because he feels that the tissue wall is damaged and by doing another hernia repair the wall will not be strong enough to hold it in place. I am at a point where I feel I should have never done the ostomy reversal because it never gave me a problem. Today, my left side is bigger than my right pelvic area. I hope to find a new surgeon who will be willing to do the hernia repair. The good thing is that I do not have pain and my bowls are regualar and I do not have colon cancer.

The reason I decided to write this tonight is to inform you and make you aware of the consequences of having an ostomy revesal and what it does to the wall of the pelvic area. In some situations a hernia is created and it must be repaired. The reason why a hernia is created in the pelvic area is because they puncture a small hole so that the colon will do its function in removing waste. This hole along with the ostomy appliance is too heavy on the pelvic area which than causes a hernia. I wore my appliance for two years and now I feel I should have had the reversal sooner. I could have done this but I was scared to do the reversal.

Their are so many issues in which you must challenge with being an ostomate but in due time and experience you learn. This is a wonderful site with so many encouraging people and lots of good information. I was so fortunate to have found it three years ago when I was dealing with having a "bag". Today, my situation is differant and I am still learning. Isn't that what Life is about? Happy New Year Ostomates!!!!

Ival
Jan 05, 2015 12:49 am
You have the right attitude. I have never had a hernia with my ileostomy but my wife had a hernia with her temporary colostomy (emergency. The hernia had to be repaired and she opted for reversal at that time - she had an excellent colo-rectal surgeon. It is true that surgeons do not like to clean up the messes that other surgeons may have created. You should proceed to search for a colo-rectal surgeon who has an excellent reputation for hernia repair. An ostomy nurse may be able to give you a list of colo-rectal surgeons for you to evaluate. Don't ever give up on your dreams.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.