UTI's the story continued

Replies
Views
gordonc
Jul 07, 2015 1:10 pm
Hi all, I finally had surgery in May to try and sort out my ongoing UTI's. My consultant in Glasgow, opened out a stricthure in my stoma, made it larger, (the stoma) and also removed a fair amount of scar tissue. I also had some stomach muscle pressing on my stoma and that was causing urine to get blocked and then infections grew. So far so good, I have only had one course of antibiotcs in 8 weeks so it looks very much like surgery was sucsessful.

be lucky people

california nurse
Jul 08, 2015 6:41 pm
Hey Gordon, Knock on wood! It sounds like you might always run a higher-than-average risk for UTIs-sometimes being aware of that risk can decrease your risk, not only for UTIs, but also for upper urinary tract infections, and you don't want your kidneys involved! I hope by sharing, I can save you an infection or two.I've had so many UTIs, including pyelonephritis X3, that I'm now resistant to two out of the three most commonly used antibiotics for gram negative bacteria and my urologist warned me that I'd better learn to manage minor infections without using antibiotics. I didn't even know that I COULD manage minor infections on my own, but have learned to do so. For prevention, I acidify my urine by taking large doses of Vitamin C. I take 1000 mg daily and increase it to 2000 mg at the first sign of a potential UTI. I can buy urine test strips at the local dollar store. They come packaged with 2 strips that test for leukocytes and nitrites. If I'm positive for either, I immediately start hyper-acidifying by using a concentrated Vit C powder that contains 5000mg /teaspoon twice day. The powder, which I mix with juice, is incredibly sour, but worth it- it knocks the offending bacteria out. I haven't had a full-fledged UTI requiring antibiotics in at least 6 years. The large doses of vitamin C also help reduce the incidence of bladder and kidney stones. Vitamin C is water-soluble, so the excess is just eliminated via urine- no Vitamin toxicity. Pyelonephritis (kidney infection) is a different story altogether and requires immediate medical intervention. In my case, it started with a bladder infection that backed up to the kidneys because I have a lot of bladder spasticity. It occurred very quickly and the affects were systemic- low back pain, vomiting and diarrhea, (simultaneously!) high fever, chills, and body aches everywhere. I've responded well and quickly to one intramuscular injection of antibiotics, but most people require intravenous antibiotics and hospitalization for pyelonephritis.I hope I didn't scare the bejebus out of you, but UTIs were the bane of my existence for decades, and I'm happy to finally have a handle on managing them.Good luck to you.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

gordonc
Jul 15, 2015 3:19 pm
thanks for the info california nurse, I will look into it