Tips for Transitioning from Loop to End Ostomy?

Replies
Views
Marsling
Jul 18, 2024 2:21 am

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice as to what to expect or how to prepare. I'm supposed to have my loop ostomy converted to an end ostomy in August. I know everyone is different and my situation might not look like or turn out as someone else's, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks.

Beachboy
Jul 18, 2024 2:35 am

Ileostomy or colostomy?

Be sure to mention to your surgeon to leave your stoma sticking out about 1 inch. If the stoma is too close to your skin... trouble. Leaks, damaged skin. It's better to stick out too much than too little.

Look at past posts on this website. Topics like: leaks, skin care, parastomal hernia, body image, intimacy, ostomy products. Then take a peek at the "Just for Laughs" section. We Ostees are a humorous bunch.

Good luck

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Hisbiscus
Jul 18, 2024 4:00 am

If you're getting an end ileostomy, ask them to remove the rectum and the stump and sew up your bum because you won't need it any longer anyhow, as there's no going back and it causes people problems when left in.

Marsling
Jul 18, 2024 4:22 am
Reply to Beachboy

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention it is a colostomy.

Marsling
Jul 18, 2024 4:25 am
Reply to Hisbiscus

Thanks for your comment. I forgot to mention that it is a colostomy. Great tip, though.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Douglas john
Jul 18, 2024 7:50 am

Do get a Barbie Butt. It's uncomfortable to start with but well worth it in the end. Be careful they don't put your stoma too close to your waistline. If you wear clothes with a belt, it can be an issue.

eefyjig
Jul 18, 2024 11:47 am

Hi Marsling, you'll probably have an ostomy nurse come in before surgery, have you move around, bend, etc., and mark your belly where the stoma will go. End ostomies seem to be easier to care for than loop ones. Bring loose-fitting pants to the hospital with you on the day you go home. If you are going to have a Barbie or Ken butt, let us know and we can guide you.

ron in mich
Jul 18, 2024 12:10 pm

Hi Marsling, welcome to the site. When you get your colostomy, be sure to ask about irrigation, and maybe you won't have to even wear a pouch, but that will be down the road after you heal and get back to what's normal for a colostomate. Good luck.

kittybou
Jul 18, 2024 1:44 pm
Reply to eefyjig

Scrub pants are great!

Jayne
Jul 18, 2024 3:14 pm

Hello Marsling

As I have never had a loop ileostomy, personally I am unable to answer your question specifically.

But Marsling, one specific thought I would like to share with you is - please "KEEP AN OPEN MIND AND NEVER 'EXPECT' THINGS"... It has taken me many years to learn this - for, certainly within the Western World, many of us 'expect' a certain range of experience to follow an action - even if we do not 'expect' a defined outcome - which, when requesting or agreeing to a specific, IMHE we do tend to have a range of expectation as to how/what the 'outcome' of an action may be.

You are right to ask questions and I hope you have a good Medical / Surgical Team who have been open, frank, and exchanged information to a point where you feel you are 'informed'.

I would urge you, if there is anything you feel you do not understand or feel unsure of - ask further questions.

You are wise to seek the input of patients who have been through similar procedures in order to prepare and take on board perspectives from other patients' points of experience - for we are varied and many.

Hang in here - revisit - because there WILL BE folk who may be able to give you pointers and share their experience of a similar or related procedure to your own. You are absolutely right to qualify your request with your own appreciation of the fact we are all different :-)

Best wishes - I hope your interventions go well and your health and quality of life improve going forward.

GOOD LUCK

Waves from across the pond

~ ~ ~ Jayne ~ ~ ~

UK