The eyes have it

Replies
Views
Rosiesmom
Aug 06, 2015 12:01 pm
hi everyone, I just wanted to share something that I thought was funny. This week end I hosted a traditional British Afternoon tea in my home for 14 women some of whom I had not seen in years. Well one of them just discovered that I now sport a colostomy. It was odd in that she could not seem to tear her eyes away from my midsection ( similar I guess to women who think men talk to their chests, I never had that prob,lol) I am not sure if she thought I might explode in front of her. I was facetiously hoping that Rosie might let on rip as only she can ala morning bugle call but the little bugger was silent. Ha. Have any of you experienced this. I found it very amusing. Then again I can have an odd spence of humor.

rosiesmom

bluejewel
Aug 07, 2015 4:59 pm
Rosiesmom,You have a good sense of humor about the whole thing.. I have a Urostomy but I experienced that once or twice. Running into new people who have learned of your situation usually causes some to glance out of curiosity. Just comes with the territory we have.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Ewesful
Aug 08, 2015 1:38 am
I'll bet you that she is very curious and has no idea she was starring. I have a very dear friend who was very pleased I offered to share the whole info with her - she wanted to ask but did not know how -- as a ret. teacher I have no issue with teaching and sharing - She was so pleased and thankful Sometimes we need to be less bashful - how else do people learn - I'd rather they know the truth than wonder....
SORCHIA
Aug 09, 2015 8:46 am
I found if I just show people it totally ends their curiosity.
scorsby
Aug 09, 2015 5:27 pm
I agree, tell then it all. It's only poo after all, and one day it might be them with a tummybum.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
LadyHope
Aug 15, 2015 9:57 pm
Hi Rosiesmom, Interesting experience. I have had several in the past few years as well. I just recently told my in laws about Stanley my stoma. I told them because my book was published and the gang was wondering who was Stanley. When one family member asked who Stanley was...I almost burst out laughing. She thought it was my boyfriend or secret lover that had and wanted to confess(I am married to her uncle). Another family member likes to announce in a very loud voice....I look fine... and your bag is not noticeable I am not certain how to answer comment so I say thanks....LOL. I had a co worker, who did not know about my ileostomy surgery only that I had surgery because of UC, tell me how awful they are and her dad had one. He smelled all of the time. She ended her conversation saying thank goodness you did not need one of those things. I smiled and thought to myself... if you only knew. If I met someone who had an ostomy and I did not, I would be very curious. If they were willing to share, I would have been interested in seeing it, as I never knew what one looked liked until I was facing surgery. I was medically naive. Thanks for the post! Hope you have a great weekend. LH
labjano
Aug 23, 2015 4:39 am
I've had an ileostomy for 28 years and the only people that know are my immediate family and the male relationships I've had. Some things are better left unsaid.
Rosiesmom
Aug 23, 2015 3:48 pm
I am a bit unsure as to the meaning/ reasoning of your post. Am I to infer that one should not mention to people that one has a colostomy? Is it a secret? Something to be ashamed or embarrassed by? If this is the case I strongly disagree. I am proud of my ostomy, it is the creation of what was a dark and scary and yes difficult time that I survived and came out the other side stronger than ever and so very grateful to be alive. So yes I will continue to speak of Rosie, eith pride and in the hope that I may educate along the way.. Colostomy is not the end rather a great new beginning.Rosiesmom
LadyHope
Aug 23, 2015 6:44 pm
I agree:) Here is to the ostomy and a new beginning. LH
blueonthetyne
Sep 13, 2015 8:47 pm
hey rosiesmom, i love having a wind up and have recently started photo bombing group pics at the last second so nobody see till they look at the pic, its fun and bringing awareness at the same time. it has changed me but i like to think its for the better, and whenever i want something at work to my favour i put my hand on the bag and look down and boom its there, win win i say
Rosiesmom
Sep 14, 2015 11:44 am
Hi does that work for winning lotto numbers? If so please let me know.lol I love the photo bombing idea. As I said I have a screwed sense of humor sometimes.
blueonthetyne
Sep 14, 2015 7:58 pm
ha ha yea I like ya idea of the lottery, maybe if you swallowed 49 numbered balls coud use the first 6 out, now that would only make us laugh and the uneducated masses go yuk, I thought of a new saying today the bag is not cause im unwell its cause I USED to be unwell
Pearlita
Sep 17, 2015 11:50 am
When I first got my bag, I noticed people looking. Probably because in the olden days, it was noticeable if you wore a bag. I was a little self conscious at first, thinking everyone could see it. Now it is just a part of me so I don't even think about it.All of my family knows and I usually end up telling friends if they don't know. I would rather tell them then for them to hear about it and feel sorry for me. I want people to know, Im fine. I can do anything you can do. But there will always be the few that pity me. They just don't get it and probably never will.
blueonthetyne
Sep 17, 2015 2:15 pm
there ya go pearlite,we could market the T shirt with the sloganI DONT WEAR THIS BAG CAUSE IM UNWELL, I WEAR IT CAUSE I USED TO BE UNWELLwhen I do the great north run next year im gonna have that on the back of my shirt, im gonna do it for ostomy awareness, im setting me self up here so there wont be any turning back