Experiences with Diversion Colitis After Colostomy Surgery

Replies
Views
markmd1112
Apr 01, 2023 6:21 pm

Was wondering if anyone here has been diagnosed with diversion colitis after having a colostomy surgery. Did you have symptoms? What were the symptoms? How were you treated? Did the treatment work? Would appreciate any input.

Mabsie Moll
Apr 03, 2023 2:07 pm

I was just recently told by a gastroenterologist that the colon doesn't like 'being idle,' for want of a better way of putting it. So when one has an ostomy, Div. Col. is often the result. I was told that it causes inflammation and the sensation to pass wind through the rectum even though that part of the body is bypassed and that I shouldn't be concerned about it. I'm not sure if that answers your question though🙋🏼‍♀️

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

markmd1112
Apr 03, 2023 10:03 pm
Reply to Mabsie Moll

Thanks for your reply. So, I gather you haven't had any bothersome symptoms? Since my colostomy surgery 9 months ago, I have been having severe pain in my anus and rectum with a constant urge to go to the toilet, even though my stool has been diverted. I read about diversion colitis and thought that maybe the cause is diversion colitis. I wanted to know if anyone had been diagnosed with it and if they have symptoms similar to mine.

gentlejohn
Apr 06, 2023 9:52 pm

Why did they do a colostomy? Has someone looked into your rectum to be sure there is no pathology there?

Yes, I am familiar. Disuse colitis/proctitis is best managed by short-chain fatty acid enemas.

Should there be inflammatory bowel disease, then mesalamine suppositories are very beneficial and can be supplemented by cortisone suppositories. Caution, taking approximately 25% of the cortisone is absorbed and is like taking 1mg of Prednisone.

markmd1112
Apr 08, 2023 9:56 pm
Reply to gentlejohn

Hi. Thanks for your comments. I just had a flex sigmoidoscopy with biopsy last week. They didn't find any malignancy or any IBD. All that was identified was acute colitis pointing to diversion/disuse colitis. I'm trying SCFA enemas. So far, no improvement of my symptoms, just rectal irritation from the enemas. My colo-rectal surgeon has prescribed mesalamine enemas as the next thing to try if the SCFA enemas don't work. I read up on mesalamine and hope I don't have to go there.

Have you tried either? If so, how has your experience been?

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play