Considering J-Pouch Surgery - Experiences and Expectations

Replies
Views
Calat4
Jul 04, 2023 12:56 pm

I had my colon removed in March 2023 and am considering the J-pouch surgery. Can I have some stories of experiences and what to expect?

Axl
Jul 04, 2023 1:13 pm

Hiya C

Go to collections, top right

Premium content

J pouch, right down the bottom.

That'll get you started.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

IGGIE
Jul 10, 2023 3:55 pm

G-Day Calat4, I had ulcerative colitis for many years and in 2004 I decided to get it fixed. My doctor said I could go for either an ileostomy or a J-pouch. I gave it some thought but decided if I went for the J-pouch and it didn't work, I could always go back to a stoma. Well, I put up with the J-pouch for 18 years but all that time I had problems, always looking for a toilet but the worst accidents at night when you have no control. So in 2021 I decided to have a complete ileostomy and have my butt stitched up and a stoma. I wish I had done that in the first place; it's the best decision I have made. I don't have to look for toilets all the time. I change my bag every Friday and every Monday and it's easy, only takes me about 5 minutes to do a change and I'm ready to go. I have only had a couple of leaks in the last 2 years but not a big problem. I did get a parastomal hernia but they fixed that for me a year ago and things are 100% fantastic. I hope this helps, Calat4. Let me know how you go. I live in Australia. Regards, IGGIE