Coloplast vs. Hollister

Replies
Views
knitter
Jul 13, 2023 2:38 pm

I'd love to hear from any of you who have had experience with either brand. My surgeon's nurse said next week she's going to show me some Hollister supplies because I've been using Coloplast with good and bad results.

Justbreathe
Jul 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Products are a personal preference depending on experiences...unfortunately experiences can result in a "shit show" and I am guessing we have all been there....I am always looking at product comments but because what I do works well for me, I will stick with what I currently use. If I had my "druthers" I would prefer a Velcro spout but tried one and it "seeped". Good luck in your search. JB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Dogen's bag
Jul 13, 2023 4:29 pm

I have used both and have a personal preference for the Hollister products. I have yet to have one leak or fail in any way. That being said, I use the "roll and lock" 2-piece and know that some members have had bad luck with these in terms of seeping.

I found the Coloplast not as "comfortable" if that makes any sense.

Good luck, my friend. :-)

Beth22
Jul 13, 2023 5:23 pm

Hi there,

So like posted above, it's what you prefer and what your skin likes and can handle, what sticks the best for you without leaks or lifting, and what holds up overall. I personally have used every brand and I stuck with Coloplast. I like the Velcro bottom vs a clip, the tape borders one I am allergic to and 2 the border doesn't stay on my skin lifts right off. I would, if I were you, get samples of different brands and find what works for you and what you like. I hope you find one.

Dogen's bag
Jul 13, 2023 6:00 pm
Reply to Beth22

As Beth suggested - samples!

I emailed a few companies and each sent me supplies to try, one even sent over a travel bag filled with supplies.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
CrappyColon
Jul 13, 2023 6:11 pm

I really wanted to like Hollister but even with changing what type of flange I used, my skin hated some ingredient in it... but the companies won't tell the consumers what is actually in it. My WOC nurses think I was allergic to the dye in the product. I spent 2 hrs at a WOC visit, the nurse cut every part of adhesive off he could and we tried to replace it with silicone tape but it didn't hold to the skin well enough. I can only use the silicone tapes. My daughter has a condition called urticaria which I most likely have based on issues I had but thought I outgrew as I got older. I think the products I used ended up being combos of the C brands. It was funny, I could send pictures to the nurses of my skin as well, but sometimes we'd be trouble shooting on the phone and I hadn't met the nurse I was talking to and she asked me if I had fair skin, I was like ya... why? She told me more people with fair skin are prone to issues ‍

Rose Bud 🌹
Jul 13, 2023 8:32 pm
Reply to Dogen's bag

I agree, people have different preferences. I didn't care for Hollister products and use Convatec. The reps are extremely nice and you can even talk to an ostomy nurse for free. Number to call for free samples or advice.

US: 1-800-422-8811

UK: 0800-282254

CANADA: 1-800-465-6302

TerryLT
Jul 13, 2023 9:16 pm

As pretty much everyone has said, it really is an individual thing, but you owe it to yourself to try other brands, because finding the right one for you can make your life so much easier. For myself, Coloplast just doesn't stick for very long and I would get leaks a lot. I found a Hollister product that I love and it has made such a big difference. I also think that Hollister is more comfortable. I wear a convex flange and found the Coloplast convex is very stiff which makes it more noticeable when you are wearing it. Hollister has a soft convex that is way more comfortable. Some people swear by Convatec too, so maybe ask for samples of that. Even a different pouch within the same brand can make a big difference, i.e., two-piece versus one-piece, convex versus flat. It took me about a year before I found the one I finally stayed with. It's worth it in the end. Good luck!

Terry

IGGIE
Jul 15, 2023 3:55 pm

It depends on each person and how their skin reacts to the adhesive, but if you're the same as me I can't go past Hollister. It works for me and I love my stoma. Regards, IGGIE

Ostelle
Jun 20, 2024 5:00 am
Reply to Justbreathe

If I may ask, what brand are you currently using?