Foods to Avoid with a Narrow Ileum: Can I Puree Them?

Replies
Views
Missie
Nov 24, 2017 1:01 pm

I am a recent otsomate. Things did not go well at first and I ended up having three ileostomies done in less than five weeks. I have also been told by my consultant that I have a very narrow ileum. Not the best of starts. Before having this done I loved, loved, loved all vegetables (except kale yeuk) and pulses, and ate loads of them. There are one or two that I can live quite happily without, sweetcorn being one. However, and I know this may sound daft, can I eat my favourite veggies and lentils, cooked beans etc if I puree them, as in soup or just like creamed potato? I am really missing them. I have a ninja thingy which blasts everything to smithereens if that is any help. I couldn't care less about any wind that may result. Mushrooms too. Can I make mushroom and garlic soup? Please help. Thankyou

Bill
Nov 25, 2017 4:52 pm

Hello Missie.

I eat whatever I like and it doesn't seem to make that much difference. However, I have a colostomy and it might be different for an ileostomy.

There is a good selection of past posts on diet in the 'collections' section on the left of your screen. If you are interested in what others have had to say about the subject in the past, I would highly recommend taking a look.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

LadyHope
Nov 26, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi Missie, Thanks for your post.  If you are able to puree your veggies well, by doing so, it would place less pressure on your small bowel. I eat many of my veggies very well cooked. I do not eat raw veggies anymore, with the exception of a small salad with my dinner.  My dinner salad consists of lettuce, cucumber, shaved carrot, peeled tomato and canned beets.  Plus, I chew my salad very well before swallowing.  I don't like seeing stuff, undigested in my pouch... it makes me nervous. I also eat refriend beans with no skins and various nut butters.  I always enjoyed handfuls of roasted and raw nuts every variety prior to my surgery.  After surgery, I was too scared to eat them so I transitioned to nut butters.  Now, I am able to eat those delicous nuts again, today in butter form.  Good luck with the pureed veggies and beans.  Please let us know how it works out.  LH

ladyjane
Dec 13, 2017 6:20 pm

I tried pureeing raw broccoli tops, carrots and organic apple without the skin and it seemed to be okay, but everyone is different.  I was reading that broccoli, carrot and apple is good for colon cancer along with others.  I have to stop being so lazy and do it more often, or at least do the fresh juice, preferably organic.

Mrs.A
Dec 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Veggies are delicious and we sure do need them. As long as I don't overdue how much I eat and like LH said, chew them very well I'm good to go. I like them both raw and cooked. Never really drink them unless I have a smoothy in the summertime.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play