Low energy with ileostomy

Replies
Views
3krpennell
Jul 22, 2023 5:27 pm

I survived colon cancer by losing all of my large intestines and now have an ileostomy. I am 3 yrs out from that and am very happy to have had the surgery to save my life and free me from the horrible IBS for 15 yrs. I have had other cancer/tumor issues in the past year, needing more surgeries. It is time I should be recovered. However, I have had little energy to be active as I was and am losing hope that I will get better. All tests have been run and I am healthy. I would like to hear from someone that is near my age. The doctor says it may be that my body is just worn out for now but I wonder if it is because I have an ileostomy.

Mysterious Mose
Jul 22, 2023 8:37 pm

Well, I am 75 and have an ileostomy and no colon. Have only had this for 7 months. So, my experience is not as extensive as yours. However, my hospital stay was extensive as I developed pneumonia and then pancreatitis. My surgeon gave me a less than 50 chance of survival after the initial surgery.

My health prior to my colectomy was quite good for a guy my age. That is not quite so true since. I have my weight back, but my strength is lagging. Recovery has been slow and I am pretty resigned to never getting back to where I was pre-surgery. I, too, have problems with low energy. But, I make sure I get out and walk 3 miles after breakfast and I make sure I eat often. It helps that I am a forever and don't do the 3 meals a day person. I think it really helps to not let myself get dehydrated or too hungry. I've made the mistake of doing my walk before breakfast once and won't again.

Anyway, this may not be helpful to you. I am not a cancer survivor and have not had multiple surgeries. But, I am 75 and I can attest that my energy levels are definitely less than they were this time last year.

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

TerryLT
Jul 22, 2023 9:27 pm

Well, as it happens I'm exactly your age, 71!I have not had cancer/cancer treatment, but did have four surgeries(all bowel) over a 2 1/2 year period, starting in late 2019. Some of those surgeries seemed easier to recover from, and some it took longer. All in all though, I have to say that I still don't have the same energy level that I had before my first surgery. I don't know if that is normal, or if it's that I'm four years older now than when all this started. I think I have a good energy level for someone my age, and I certainly have a good appetite. If you are feeling low energy though, maybe talk to your doctor again. Have you had all your nutrient levels checked?I tend to get low in sodium and I always know immediately when that happens, as I'll start feeling tired and sometimes headachey as well. If you drink lots of water, as we ileostomates usually do, it's easy to have those micronutrients leach out of your system.

Terry

Riva
Jul 23, 2023 12:50 am

You mentioned cancer/tumor issues within the last year. Chemotherapy/radiation treatments certainly will exhaust you. I've been there but proper nutrition and listening to your body is a must . Don't let this get to you. Make every moment count.

banshie3by5
Jul 29, 2023 4:38 pm

Your potassium and magnesium may be "normal" but a low normal is still low. This could definitely be causing fatigue.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play