Asking About Ken Butt and Remaking of Ileostomy in One Surgery

Replies
Views
bubbaduffman
Jul 31, 2023 5:37 am

Hi everyone.

Due to some problems, I am going into the hospital to have surgery to remove my rectal stump and reform a failed stoma.

I have had my ileostomy for over 30 years, and it has blocked with scar material. I will be 58 in a short while and not looking forward to the surgery.

My surgeon is planning to do this in one go, and I really am hoping for some advice and reassurance from anyone who has advice or experience of this operation. Please help.

Cplumber
Jul 31, 2023 11:21 am

Your surgeon will have no problem getting all that done in one go. You will come out feeling just like any other major surgery you have had. My suggestion is to start doing cardio, leg, and core workouts. Don't go crazy, but you need to build your endurance pre-surgery.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Jul 31, 2023 2:11 pm

I had my butt and stoma (colostomy) done all at once, what exactly is your question? Since you already have a stoma and know how to deal with that, the butt surgery part is no big deal. Just prepare to not sit or not sit normally for a while. Ask for dissolvable stitches, I heard having to have regular ones removed isn't very pleasant.

Beth22
Aug 01, 2023 12:34 pm

Hi there,

Are you having the rectal stump and anus removed or just the rectal stump and leaving the anus? I had my rectal stump (but I still have my anus) and relocation of my stoma done in one surgery. Are you nervous about it?

Beachboy
Aug 02, 2023 2:25 am

I think you're all really brave dealing with this stuff. Surgery, stoma, revision, Ken & Barbie butts. I just have an end colostomy, a little prolapse, and a hernia. Couldn't imagine having more on my plate to deal with, like many of you have.

God bless.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
almelia
Aug 06, 2023 7:15 pm

I'm also in the UK and listed for the same (removing rectum but leaving anus as I'm a full-time wheelchair user so no avoiding sitting!). Having 2 hernias repaired and ileo resited at the same time plus removal of a rogue ovary. All being done in one go but the surgeon reckons approximately 8 hours operation. I'm getting repeat blockages due to hernias and adhesions.

Roseviolet
Aug 07, 2023 5:54 am

I had J-pouch removed along with rectum, anus, and a new ileostomy added. Recovery was quick with little pain for me. Surgery was laparoscopic. The hospital provided a waffle cushion to sit on, and I brought this home. Do not use a donut cushion, which will spread the butt cheeks causing pain and possible breakage of stitches. Do ask for dissolvable sutures. My butt was healed within 3 weeks. Also, I think one of the reasons my recovery went so well was due to the fact that my vitamin D3 level was very good—close to 40. I really think this helped with my healing. You might have your level tested to make sure that it's not low.

Beachboy
Aug 07, 2023 11:09 pm

Great point about vitamin D level. Really important for many health reasons. If you take a supplement, make sure it's D3 and a gel capsule. Pills do not get absorbed very well. I also take K7 with my D3. They work together.

warrior
Aug 22, 2023 6:58 pm

Great info/advice here. Thanks. Upping the vitamins. Never thought of that.

Carrie H
Sep 06, 2023 1:19 am

I have had a couple of doubled-up surgeries like what you are explaining and everything went well, and only one post-op! Good luck