Cruising with a Urostomy - Tips for Managing Bard Night Bags on Royal Caribbean

Replies
Views
tbneau
Sep 29, 2023 3:52 pm

New to this site. Since I am unable to find a search option, I will ask a question that has probably been asked a thousand times: Need tips on cruising on Royal Caribbean with a urostomy. My main concern is regarding the Bard night bag. We do not normally dispose of them after one use, rather we rinse with water and vinegar. RC says it is okay to bring vinegar in its original unopened container. On a short four-night cruise, we were wondering what is the best way to handle this. I've read to contact Guest Services to be put in touch with the ship's clinic, get red bags, and to carry more than ample supplies (duh), but any other tips/experiences would be appreciated. I suppose a new unused Bard bag each night would be an option, but it seems wasteful.

xnine
Sep 29, 2023 6:46 pm

Maybe you could get individual packets from a fast food outlet.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bryce
Sep 29, 2023 7:04 pm

Hi - I would make up 4 or 5 kits containing the Bard Bag, J Clothes, Clothes Pin, a sachet of vinegar from a restaurant (or buy 1 small squirting bottle from the supermarket), half a dozen paper towels and put everything into a large Zip Lock bag. Add the 5 kits to your regular ostomy supplies in a separate carry-on bag. No airline can refuse this carry-on so I assume the same for a ship. At night put the Bard Bag into the Zip Lock then into a waste basket. If you can't rinse the night bag you will have spares, if you can you will have some to take home. I have used Coloplast Night Bags in this way for 10+ years without incident - a plus is that they have a hook on the top. Good luck / Bon Voyage! Bryce

AlexT
Oct 01, 2023 3:02 am

You're spending money to go on a cruise and all the expenses that go along with it and you're worried about being wasteful? 🤷‍♂️ Take a few extra bags and put a fresh one on when you need to and toss the used ones. Enjoy your vacation and don't spend it washing bags and carrying vinegar around. 

TomFTW
Oct 03, 2023 12:57 am

I use a small travel bottle of liquid dish soap. You could also use hand sanitizer, lemon juice (it sanitizes and deodorizes), or rubbing alcohol.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Ice
Oct 11, 2023 5:32 pm

It's 4 days, empty the bag, rinse with some liquid soap, and enjoy. I never use vinegar and have been using the same drainage bottle for almost a year. Do rinse with soap a few times a week; otherwise, I just rinse it out with hot water.