Electric Razor for Stoma Care - Men's Experiences?

Replies
Views
jalrein
Nov 05, 2023 1:41 am

This is for mostly men. I shower with my 2-piece system completely off. I use a razor to shave around my stoma. Does anybody here use an electric razor to do this? If so, is it easier and better than a razor? Very curious...

DavidK
Nov 05, 2023 2:35 am

I use an electric hair clipper; it works fine for me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Nov 05, 2023 5:16 am

No way I'd risk a slip from a regular razor and have to deal with a cut. I use this and it works great…
Login to see image

Axl
Nov 05, 2023 8:59 am

Razor ... I like to live dangerously 🤣

Mayoman
Nov 05, 2023 1:12 pm

LOL... Me too, Axl 😱. The only way to get a really close shave. Make sure we have our glasses on while dancing with disaster! If I leave it too long between shaves, the pointy little hairs grow into the sticky and it is painful to remove. Gotta do it every shower! It feels so liberating to stand under the hot shower with my naked stoma, great for the skin too.

Magoo.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
amkevergreen
Nov 05, 2023 2:46 pm

Beard trimmer does double duty... that is all...

AlexT
Nov 05, 2023 2:49 pm
Reply to Mayoman

I did use a razor once when I first got my stoma and didn't like how it was difficult to get really close to the stoma, and I got ingrown hairs from using it. That bikini razor allows me to get right next to my stoma and takes the hair off perfectly, so I do not get an ingrown hair again. I use it every time I change my stuff.

xnine
Nov 05, 2023 7:07 pm

Lucky for me, I do not have much hair. The stoma nurse did mine once in the beginning.

14jax71
Nov 05, 2023 7:33 pm

I use shaving cream and a razor. I really didn't give any thought to an electric razor.

gentlejohn
Nov 05, 2023 11:15 pm

Every WOCN nurse I have met has urged the usage of an electric shaver and not using a standard razor. That is because of what a standard razor does to the skin. Small abrasions and irritations beneath the barrier can be a problem. I personally use an electronic razor.

Here is the WOCN publication on basic skin care around a stoma:

https://www.ostomy.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/wocn_basic_ostomy_skin_care_2018.pdf

Silveradokid
Nov 13, 2023 1:00 am

I haven't had to worry about hair removal around my stoma yet. But I do have a roll of duct tape in the closet...

Rob58-uk
Nov 25, 2023 12:25 pm
Reply to DavidK

I have a colostomy and use electric clippers to tidy up and remove hair growth.

Tip: Use a toilet roll tube over your stoma to protect it while clipping. It makes it easy, and you don't have to worry about accidentally cutting it!

imsafanwa
Nov 26, 2023 12:59 am
Reply to Rob58-uk

That's a great idea!