Proctectomy Surgery Experiences and Advice

Replies
Views
-Dan-
Nov 10, 2023 8:36 am

Hi, I am planned to have proctectomy surgery in about 2 weeks, due to severe diversion proctitis, after having a subtotal colectomy 8 months ago.

I have read a lot, but it's always good to ask again: what are your experiences, any advice, and anything you think is good to plan or think about?

I have spoken to my surgeon and other IBD communities.

I think I'm as prepared as can be, but it's great to talk about it and hear others' thoughts.

I do have concerns about healing, and I know it's a long, slow, painful process.

I am also concerned about sexual function.

Mostly about getting an erection. I have 2 wonderful children, so that is not a concern for me.

It's more about sex/pleasure. I am very aware of the risks of pelvic surgery and have discussed them with my surgeon as well.

Thanks in advance for your response!

AlexT
Nov 10, 2023 4:33 pm

It'll take quite a while to heal because you're going to basically get cut in half and they put things back together. If you have the right partner, things will work out perfectly. 🤭

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

timcasey815
Nov 10, 2023 5:22 pm

No worries, brother. I have been through the ringer: total colectomy, failed j-pouch, rectal removal after all that, due to recurring abscess down there, tracking down my legs. Two surgeries on my whole one to close it, removal, one to open it back up so no abscess grows and it just slowly drains, which keeps me out of surgery. Not too hard to manage. Oh, P.S. about your little man, he'll be fine, rock hard, enjoy.

timcasey815
Nov 10, 2023 5:24 pm

Hit a lick after surgery; my wife helped me! Then you know for sure.

gentlejohn
Nov 13, 2023 2:05 am

You will be anxious until you are post-op. I had proctitis too following colectomy and ileostomy. I had to treat my proctitis with expensive cortisone and mesalamine suppositories. My proctitis was cured when I had my rectum removed. The second surgery was a lot easier than the colectomy and ileostomy, but it is a lesser surgery and I was healthier. You are aware of potential healing and sexual problems. When proctectomy is done for IBD rather than cancer, the risks are reduced because it is a different dissection and not a cancer operation. Think positively!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
-Dan-
Nov 15, 2023 11:55 am
Reply to gentlejohn

That's very true and fair. I hope for the best and know it can go smoothly and well.

That's the same situation for me.

Thanks for reminding me how it can go positively.

-Dan-
Jan 25, 2024 9:21 am

8 and a half weeks post-op and happy to say mostly all is good.

Op went well! Some problems with epidural and dura rupture. Some seriously high pain meds... that was fun.

But healed well.

As for the erection side of things, it works mostly to a degree... will most likely improve over time with healing.

But in the meantime, got some goodies for a little boost.

So overall, well and happy!

Back to usual!

warrior
Mar 11, 2024 4:02 am
Reply to -Dan-

Welcome and good to hear your experience is going really well.

I would say buy some lottery tickets because you got lucky.

As for me and my experience, not too lucky.

My surgery was October 2023.

Robotic failed, cut open about 12 inches.

Post-op issues?

Urination, UTI, loss of taste buds.

Severe arthritis.

Rectal stitches blew at 17 weeks post-op.

Twice repaired when abscess developed. See my profile before you reply, dude.

Also, E.D. is the last thing on my mind but is present.

Pissing takes about 2 minutes.

So I got it strange here but looking forward to better times.

Day by day. Consider yourself lucky and blessed.

Happy for you. 👍

As